• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google checkout beware!!!!!!!!!!!

micp1480

Dec 4, 2009
After losing money on Google Checkout, I am telling everyone to be careful. I had my purchases debited on my card and never received my software. After 10 hours, my Droid kept saying Authorizing, and meanwhile the developer of the software that I was on the phone with, said he already got the money for the program. He then did some investigating on my behalf, and was stunned to see that there was a significant amount of people having the same issue. I will never purchase an another paid program unless I can get it with PayPal, which I NEVER had a problem with, when I had my Blackberry. Before you jump all over me on this, I advise you to search Google Checkout, and to read all the horrifying stories.

MICP1480

When did this happen ?

I have bought quite a few apps using Google Checkout and have never had this kind of a problem.

I can see that there might have been a data transfer issue, data outage or market server issue, but you still should have been able to cancel the download and reinstalled at no cost.

I have had apps take a while, 30 minutes or more, to download. I just canel the download and restart it. I check my account and am not charged a second time.

I hope you get things worked out and get your $$$ back or are compinsated somehow.

Upvote 0
Over the past two years I have made 40 purchases through Google Checkout (six of them through my Droid), and I never had any trouble with a single one of them.

In fact, Google Checkout is my preferred method of online purchasing. I'll often research product reviews through NewEgg and Amazon, and then make the purchase through a site that supports Google Checkout. :D

Upvote 0
Why would I just abandon GC on your word that you had issues and that there are many "horrifying stories" when I have never had bad luck with it myself? Talk about an attempt at starting mass hysteria.

If I lose $1.99 some week... then I will chalk it up to bad luck and move on. What kind of a job could you possibly have where you would come to a forum and advocate that everyone abandon GC over losing $1.99? Maybe it's time to move up the corporate ladder, ehh?

Upvote 0
F.Y.I. I just purchased a program when I swore I wouldn't ever again, and I now 4 hours waiting for it to download. The program I ordered yesterday took 14 hours, and if you read my article above you will wee it took people up to 4 days to a week. I wish there were other options for payment. This is BS.

MICP 1480

Upvote 0
F.Y.I. I just purchased a program when I swore I wouldn't ever again, and I now 4 hours waiting for it to download. The program I ordered yesterday took 14 hours, and if you read my article above you will wee it took people up to 4 days to a week. I wish there were other options for payment. This is BS.

MICP 1480
You do know about the Market having issues the past couple days ?

Maybe your problem is not a Google Check Out issue and is just a market problem.

Have you tried downloading a free app and see how that works ?

It could even be your phone or carrier having issues with connecting to market.

Upvote 0
After losing money on Google Checkout, I am telling everyone to be careful. I had my purchases debited on my card and never received my software. After 10 hours, my Droid kept saying Authorizing, and meanwhile the developer of the software that I was on the phone with, said he already got the money for the program. He then did some investigating on my behalf, and was stunned to see that there was a significant amount of people having the same issue. I will never purchase an another paid program unless I can get it with PayPal, which I NEVER had a problem with, when I had my Blackberry. Before you jump all over me on this, I advise you to search Google Checkout, and to read all the horrifying stories.

MICP1480

I'm sorry if I don't understand. You paid for the app,.. the developer got his money,.. you were speaking with the developer (who did some investigating on your behalf) so,.... you got the software you paid for,... I don't see where you got ripped off??????

Upvote 0
Well heck, I can't even get to the checkout point to have a potential problem!

When I click Buy I get the error message that I have an invalid card and that I need to add a new card or go to Google Checkout to edit things. I go on my phone and if I sign in with my account it takes me to the receipt page and doesn't have a payment method editing page. If I sign in with card details, it just repeats the form page I'm on when I hit Continue.

Logging on via my desktop and another Google account I've made purchases on gets the same result.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ivan

Upvote 0
I've been experiencing this problem today. Around 8am ET, I purchased an app with no problem. Bought another around 11, and bumped into the forever lingering "authorizing" snafu. Tried assorted fixes, but none worked (Gtalk sign-in, reboot; clear cache for marketplace and download, reboot; sing wanna wanna banna banna while hopping on one foot, etc.) Tried with another app around noon, using a second card on file, same thing. My 2 refund requests were honored. But frankly, I wanted the apps. I'm irritated, sure, but I've lived long enough to know that when computers are involved, glitches will rear their ugly heads. So, the apps are now on my todo list for next weekend.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones