• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google chrome OS to trump andriod on netbooks?

There are OEMs building netbooks (many of them) right now that will launch with Android.

However, yes, I think Chrome will be a far more attractive selection.

But, I don't think that's the last word. Chrome is Google's "cloud-app" framework, taylored for HTML5 applications. However, it runs atop none other than Linux.

I'd bet a paycheck we'll see Chrome shipping with an Android stack shortly after it's release.

Scott

Upvote 0
Not particularly...

Android was only really put on Netbooks because it was possible to do so...

This new Chrome OS is a dedicated OS that is meant to be run on both desktops and netbooks....and let's face it....a netbook is a more a computer than a mobile device....therefore in my opinion....Chrome OS should be better suited for netbooks than Android...

However, I'm certain Google said they want Chrome OS and Android available so users have a choice.

That being said...they'll be supporting both of the platforms on netbooks...

Upvote 0
I think it will create competition, but it doesn't really matter. Netbooks seem to be in the middle-ground, where either OS makes sense. Smaller or more portable devices are a shoe-in for Android, larger for Chrome.

But, Intel's Moblin and other (un-named) platforms are retrofitting an Android stack into their offerings so as to open the market to their devices and let users have the best possible experience; I can't fathom why Google wouldn't do that as well.

Personally, I'm most anxious to see the specs and developer info for Chrome. I know it will abound with HTML5 support and drip with web-centric goodies. I want to know if there will be the API's necessary for real desktop work, such as OpenGL.

Scott

Upvote 0
In addition, think of this, right now Android ships with a webkit based browser, not a chrome based browser.

Imagine a time when android OS gets a Chrome based browser.

It seems to make sense that Google saw the direction of the mobile market with their Android initiative but were a bit surprised at the growth of the netbook market and the added interest in Android shipping with netbooks.

Some folks at Google probably saw the rise of the Kindle and the forthcoming CrunchTablet and of other connected web appliances like Verizon's home phone, kitchen appliances, cars, tv's etc and realized that a simple Web OS would be less bloat than Android for all these other needs.

So now the real market makers, manufacturers, will gain the same thing that the OHA folks have gained. A simple to use, open source, universal OS that has major developer muscle behind it.

Embedded OS war in set top boxes, autos, appliances and the like are really where the next battle lie and Google is lining nicely to meet these coming challenges with a simple OS. It was quick departure that might surprise the Android crowd, but really, is Android made for larger screens? Should it be?

Upvote 0
If it can:

• run local java and/or dalvik (android) apps
  • hand off to another OS (like splashtop OSes do) when you need a beefier environment (kind of like a button for "Boot to Linux" or "Boot to Windows" or something)
  • has a touchscreen oriented OS, like Android (including screen rotation), only re-optimized for the larger screen
  • runs full/desktop versions of google apps, instead of the mobile/phone versions that Android is limited to
  • has support for 3G cards (external, internal, built-in)

Then I'd love to see this on convertible tablet netbooks (EeePC T91, EeePC T101, Fujitsu Lifebook u820, etc.). I'd be VERY interested in runing this OS if it does all of that.

But ... the Java or Dalvik apps are a key. If it's like the iPhone 1.0 (web apps only), I think it wont succeed. They'll need SOME form of local apps (just like the iPhone had to add, Android has, etc.). Running a re-optimized form of Dalvik would be pretty ideal, in my opinion. But having a generic java engine might be appropriate too.

Without those things ... not interested. I'll stick with Ubuntu based netbooks. Or wait for Apple's offering in that category of devices.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones