1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Google compatible browser for HTC Wildfire S?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Templar, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Templar

Templar Lurker

I'm one of these rare beasts (I'm 76) that only uses his mobile to call the garage when I break down or say "Hi!" to the grandkids. However, recently, my daughter gave me one of her old mobiles, an HTC Wildfire S, and I realised I might be able to access my emails (Gmail) on it which would save me having to carry my laptop if I'm away from home for a day or two. The problem is that my Google account does not like the outdated browser that was on the mobile when I got it. I've now downloaded Opera Mini and set it as default browser but Google still thinks that is too old. All the common browsers I've tried to download (Chrome, Safari, Firefox etc.) all say that they are incompatible with the mobile. Does anyone know of a browser that would work or a solution to my problem or is my phone simply too old? Please keep any answers simple as I'm not very mobile savvy! (I'm not too bad on a PC).

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Is there a Gmail app on the phone?
    Not using a browser but actually access your Gmails using the Gmail app instead of using a browser would be an option

ocnbrze and Hadron like this.
  3. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

The problem is probably that the security certificates of browsers that are old enough to work on this phone are out of date.
    What Android version are you running? Someone in another thread on this recently said that a browser called Puffin might work, but that requires Android 2.3 as the minimum (they only had 2.1, hence we don't know for sure whether that will solve it).

HTC generally bundle a GMail app on the phone, the question is whether Google will accept a connection from a version of that app that's old enough to run on this phone. Worth a try, but it's possible it won't work.

ocnbrze and Dannydet like this.
  4. Templar

Templar Lurker

Thanks guys, it shows how little I know but I looked at the installed apps and guess what, there was Gmail. Not only that but it still works! Now all I have to do is get used to the way it looks on a small screen (should have gone to Specsavers). Thanks again, much obliged.

ocnbrze, Hadron and Dannydet like this.
  5. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

I don't think smartphone screens come much smaller than the Wildfire S ;).

Good luck

ocnbrze likes this.

Browser

Browser Forum

com.hawk.android.browser

READ MORE
Last Updated
Rating
Installs