1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Google contact sync not working

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by 82ndCowboy, May 8, 2011.

1. 82ndCowboy

82ndCowboy Member
    None

Jun 5, 2010
    Jack of all trades, master of none.
    Orlando, FL
    I have not been able to sync my google contacts for weeks now.
    All I keep getting is a red exclamation message saying google sync is having problems and will be back later.
    I have tried reseting my password and doing a factory reset and then re-entering my google account, but it is still not working.
    the calendar and email are working fine, just cant get contacts to sync.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Advertisement

2. SmoovC

SmoovC Member
    None

Jul 21, 2010
    Graham, Kracka'!
    I was struggling with this same issue all day! I found this on xda:

While your contact list is open, hit "Menu", then "View", and make sure everything is unchecked except for "Google Contacts", then hit "Done". If that doesn't work, go to "Menu" from the home screen", hit "Applications", then "Manage Applications", then "All", scroll down to "Contacts Storage" and hit "Clear Data". Then sync your Gmail account again.

It worked for me. NOTE: I first exported contacts from gmail onto desktop, in all formats, "just in case". I then deleted all phone contacts on phone, including all vcards on SD card. Then followed the above (in bold), and all is good once again.

Hope it helps!

82ndCowboy likes this.
  3. 82ndCowboy

82ndCowboy Member
    None

Jun 5, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    OMG! This worked.
    Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You
    I hope your a girl, cause I want to Kiss you!
    I have been searchin all over for the fix, And this worked.
    Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You

4. pplvan

pplvan Lurker
    None

May 9, 2011
    the only thing that worked for me was a hard factory reset. I lost some of my shortcuts and pics as a result but mostly download these to the laptop. Be sure to be thorough in doing this.

5. 82ndCowboy

82ndCowboy Member
    None

Jun 5, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I tried a reset, and I tried a clear cache in nandroid but I could not get it to work. It hadn't worked since april 26th.
    All I did was uncheck all but google contacts in the view list, then I went to applications and cleared data in the contacts storage. Wa Laaa. it worked and still is working.
    I use my phone for business also, so my contacts are very important.
    Putting them in the phone and then in to google via the website was becoming very tedious.

Now if I can just get the losing gps signal while charging issue fixed and my WEUS Big810 app to work again I'll be back to 100% good to go.

6. SmoovC

SmoovC Member
    None

Jul 21, 2010
    Graham, Kracka'!
    LOL! You are welcome, your reply made my day. No, I'm not a girl, either...haha. That is the great thing about this (and other) forums; someone has usually experienced an issue before, and can help.

I know I have found many answers from the good people here; I am happy that I could help someone else; although the real thanks goes to the OP in the thread on xda, I can't find it though! Thanks for posting to let us know it worked.

7. 82ndCowboy

82ndCowboy Member
    None

Jun 5, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I tried searching for three nights, nothing would come up in the searches that had a fix in it.
    So your time and effort to reply was a big help.
    It is much appreciated.

8. PleaseBeClear

PleaseBeClear Lurker
    None

Feb 27, 2012
    Folks,

Your advice to clear that cache is all over the Internet and incredibly annoying.

You see...none of you has thought for a second that the average reader will wonder if doing that will result in all the brand new contacts on your android phone being deleted.

Yes or no people. Does that delete contacts on the phone that haven't been synced with Gmail yet?

Yes or no?

I mean seriously, how could you write that advice and not wake up in the middle of the night realizing that you hadn't been clear enough on that issue?

The problem with so many techies is that they assume too much about how people will understand something. A techie might know, one way or the other, about whether that Storage deletion will kill critically important new contacts on the phone that a user wants to sync with the cloud...but it never crosses his or her mind that he or she hasn't actually stated whether this is true or not.

Let me put it bluntly: because the word "sync" means that you have new data on two different platforms that need to be "merged" 90% of the people looking to learn the answer to the question about sync not working, would consider the information to be critical on whether the storage deletion in "Applications" (on the Android phone) would delete all the fresh new unsynced contacts on the phone irreversibly.

So, please tell me..what is the answer on this?

Excuse my condescension. I'm just frustrated. It's such an obvious thing someone would want to know about getting a "sync" to work.

9. 82ndCowboy

82ndCowboy Member
    None

Jun 5, 2010
    Orlando, FL

You dig up an old thread and then you Bitch about it. If you would comprehend your reading. You would see in the third post I said it worked. Meaning the second post with the instructions fixed my issue.
    I'm no "techie" but at least I can comprehend what I read. If I don't I keep reading it till I understand it !!!!!!
    If you want help from people try being nice and asking for their help instead of Bitching at them !!!!

Tags: