• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google contacts from nowhere?

rick12

Jan 3, 2010
My question is very basic. After syncing my contacts, I noticed in the list that some names had Google by them and some had Phone. Then I learned that Eris syncs Google contacts. Problem is I never had Google contacts. Long ago I had a Google account but closed it (and it was long before I had this computer). It was only when I got my Eris that I created a Google account. So where did the Eris get these Google contacts from?

Those google contacts are from people you have been sending e-mails to. I had a bunch of random e-mail address and only e-mail contacts when I asked to bring over the contacts. Is that what you mean? Or maybe google already started backing up your contacts that are on the phone, so maybe they are copied over already?
I just don't know why they would be listed as Google contacts since I never had a Google account with contacts. I'm wondering if they are just contacts that were in my previous phone since they only have phone numbers (unformatted: no hyphens in the numbers). Maybe when the Verizon people ported them in they made them "Google contacts."

The next question is why, when I go to Gmail.com, there is a username and password in place that don't work! It won't maintain my new login info. But that's for another forum.

Upvote 0
Yeah when the Verizon people imported them, they must have added them as google contacts.

For the gmail question, I am assuming that you are talking about going to gmail.com on a computer, not the phone? If thats the case, when you have asked internet explorer to save a password, a way to then change what password is saved, go to gmail.com and DON'T click 'sign-in' even if it looks the information is there, delete the password and type the NEW password in and click 'sign-in'. It will then asked you if you want to overright the password that is already there, click yes, and from now on it will save your password.

Enjoy your new fun gmail account!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones