1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Google contacts headache

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by karte, Oct 28, 2019.

1. karte

karte Newbie

The google contacts on my pixel2 adds all the contacts from my google accounts even those without phone numbers. It creates contacts with email addresses, i don't know how to do it so that only my real contacts with phone number show up on the contact list.

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

It's a weak app in terms of settings, but that's typical Google.

You could work around it by creating "labels" for contacts with phone numbers and only showing those ("customise view" from the 3-dot menu). It's a lot of work for something that other phone apps just allow (at least I'm sure my previous phone had it).

codesplice likes this.
  3. LewisH99

LewisH99 Newbie

1. From the Home screen, press the Menu key and go to Settings -> Accounts & Sync.
    2. Under the Manage account section go through each account (by tapping on them,) and verify that the Sync Contacts option is only checked for accounts that you really want to have synchronized with the phone.
    3. Open the Phone app and go to the "Contacts" tab. press the Menu button and tap the Display options button.
    4. Check the box next to Only contacts with phones option to hide any contacts that don't have a phone number associated with them.
    5. Under the Choose contacts to display section, expand any accounts that you've chosen to keep in sync in step 2, and select the groups you wish displayed in the Phone app by marking their check-box.
    Keep in mind that some manufacturers have their own versions of Phone and Contacts apps, so the menu choices might be slightly different (or even missing altogether.)

Regards,
    Lewis

4. karte

karte Newbie

I did 1 & 2, but on 3 I don't see "display option" under menu.

5. Hadron

VIP Member

Nope, the Pixel 2 (at least with current software/app version) doesn't have that option there. I checked before making my previous post.

karte, lunatic59 and codesplice like this.
  6. karte

karte Newbie

Now that I have the pixel4 how can I clean up my contact list contaminated with email contacts before I transport the list to the new phone?

7. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

karte likes this.
  8. karte

karte Newbie

Thanks a lot, I have deleted all the trash from that website, but when I go back to the phone the trash is still there. I have done restart of phone, also gone to my google account on the phone and have done a sync to no avail...

I just realized if I hit the phone icon on my phone and then hit "contacts", the trash I just deleted on google contacts website are still there, BUT if I open the "contacts" app, it's identical to the google list with exact amount of contacts. How can I make contact list on "phone" app identical to the "contacts" app?

#8 karte, Nov 1, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  9. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

Hmm, you might try going to Settings > Apps & notifications > See all apps > Phone > Storage & cache > Clear cache to see if that will force the app to refresh the contacts list.

If that doesn't do it, you may need to Clear storage for it as well.

10. karte

karte Newbie

"Clear storage" will delete all data permanently, im not sure about this step...

11. Hadron

VIP Member

Contacts are stored by the Contacts Storage system app rather than the contacts app. So actually clearing the contacts app probably won't do much to the contacts.

Anyway clearing data from the phone app won't remove it from the Google cloud, it will just resync. Which sounds like what the OP was trying to achieve.

codesplice likes this.

Google Pixel Forum

The Google Pixel release date was October 2016. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 12MP camera, 4GB RAM, Snapdragon 821 processor, and 2770mAh battery.

October 2016
Release Date
Reviews