• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Contacts Overwrite Droid Contacts

mossoffa

Lurker
Dec 24, 2009
I use a Droid and Google contacts. I hate Google's contact interface - it crashes Internet Explorer half the time - so I want to edit my contacts on my Droid and have them get updated on Google contacts. I tried this, but when I sync, the google data overwrites what is on my Droid. I've lost a lot of changes already. I tried deleting the contact in Google thinking the Droid contact would then become dominant, but the contact just got deleted on my Droid. But when I add a new contact on the Droid, it does go to Google. So it seems that all the existing Google contacts only sync one way - from google down to the Droid. I must change this. I need updates to happen both ways or else I need to make changes only go up to Google from the Droid. Help?

My first recommendation: Download and install Google Chrome on your PC and manage your Gmail Contacts with Chrome.

Also, you could go into Google Gmail (using Chrome), go into Contacts, then "Export" your contacts to a CSV files. Open that file with MS Excel (or the free OpenOffice Calc) and edit your contact list there. Then import the list back into Gmail which will sync your PERFECT list back into your DROID. This is what I do, and I love it!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones