• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Contacts

Tried using google contacts but noticed in setting individual ring tones that there was no way to set individual ring tones for messages which seem to go back to default message tone from phone, tried setting them using Samsung contacts no problem then reinstall google contacts after a while day or so back to default setting. Am I missing something?
Also tried google message same problem individual ring tones always go back to default settings both for phone and messages So for now use Samsung stock contacts. Any ideas
thanks

On my Pixel 2 Google's contacts app doesn't provide any way of setting message notifications, just ringtones. So whatever I set for a ringtone there has no effect on the message notification (which is reasonable, as these are separate things). But individual ringtones work fine.

I don't use Google's Messages app, and in fact keep it disabled (I prefer to have more customisation than it offers). I can see it has a setting for specifying individual notification tones, but I can't comment on whether there are any problems with it. It seems unlikely that that feature doesn't work though, since it would surely be widely reported if so. Unless you are in the habit of completely deleting conversations - I'm told that on many apps the tone is linked to the conversation rather than the contact, so deleting the conversation would clear any custom tones you'd set.

If it's not that, and I had to speculate, I'd wonder whether you had a conflict between Google and Samsung apps going on. But that's purely a guess, based on nothing other than the fact that you do have these duplicate contacts apps (with the Samsung one presumably linked to your phone dialer).

Upvote 0
I used to have the same problem then I fix it with a different messenger..

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-06-02-14-56-13.png
    Screenshot_2018-06-02-14-56-13.png
    158.3 KB · Views: 107
  • 2018-06-02 14.59.08.jpg
    2018-06-02 14.59.08.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 110
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones