1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Google drive questions

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by jmcook79, Feb 9, 2014.

1. jmcook79

jmcook79 Android Enthusiast

Jan 1, 2013
    Male
    Retail
    Florida
    I'm currently uploading all of my data to Google Drive including thousands of mp3's pictures etc. I notice that there is a feature to make files available offline. What I want to do is to download several albums of music to my phone and tablet and when I'm tired of them, delete them to make room for more. I do this to avoid streaming away from wifi to save data. Would the offline feature be better for this or should I download them and move them to my music folder? I've read a lot of horror stories about people deleting files from their Google Drive folder on their PC or Chromebook and not realizing that it syncs with Google Drive and losing all of it. I assume since my phone and tablet don't have a Google drive folder this won't happen.

Another question is does Google make redundant backups of my farTs (I had to leave the typo it was so funny lol) files or should I use another backup service or keep using my external drive with USB OTG?

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. sonyboyj

sonyboyj Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 28, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    making them offline would just be saving the in a folder google drive would make so downloading or offline would both require storage space. i say just save the albums in a folder on your pc if you have one. then there always there if you want them again

3. jmcook79

Jan 1, 2013
    Male
    Retail
    Florida
    I'm trying to migrate from a laptop to a phone and a tablet only. My laptop kept overheating and I thought I had the problem solved but the laptop finally died and it would cost more to fix then it was worth. I could only afford to buy one or the other I decided to buy a tablet. I got a Nexus 7 and I love it but as everyone knows it has no SD card slot. In my mind the sacrifice was worth it though because it seems to be the best deal in its price range.

4. sonyboyj

sonyboyj Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 28, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    Ya thats the bummer with the N7 no SD i have the galaxy tab 3 8inch . it has 16gb and a 32gb sd. i dont know what to say maybe put music on the phone as you carry it with you and save the videos and pics to the tab. you could try the groove shark app if you have wifi you can make playlists and stream them over wifi.

jmcook79 likes this.
  5. jmcook79

Jan 1, 2013
    Male
    Retail
    Florida
    Yeah I'll definitely try streaming when I'm at home but all I really need is a few of my favorite albums on my phone for when I'm driving to and from work and on my lunch break. I just want to make sure that when I delete them from my phone that they actually stay on Google Drive but I'm pretty sure they will.

I also have dozens of albums of obscure electronic music that isn't available on most streaming services lol.

6. jmcook79

Jan 1, 2013
    Male
    Retail
    Florida
    It turns out that Best Buy's upload speed is even faster than the library. Download speed sucks but no one's uploading anything I'm getting 33mbps I just have my hard drive plugged into the back of a desktop computer hidden away and I'm browsing around on the aisle near it :D 600 songs to go and I'm done!

7. jmcook79

Jan 1, 2013
    Male
    Retail
    Florida
    I just realized that google play music has a pin feature. Does the limit of 2 downloads for each song also apply when pinning as well. I don't think it does but I just wanted to make sure because if I can pin unlimited albums, I may go back to best buy and re upload all my music to google play. That way when I'm at home I can stream via wifi and pin music to my phone for when I'm out and not have to use any data for streaming. I'm on Verizon's $50 1GB plan and It's enough for me so I don't want to pay for more data.

8. regression

regression Android Expert
    None

Nov 10, 2009
    Male
    Memphis, TN
    No, the 2 download limit only applies to downloading a song via the web site. You can pin and unpin as much as you want via the app on your phone / tablet.

jmcook79 and funkylogik like this.
  9. jmcook79

Jan 1, 2013
    Male
    Retail
    Florida
    The strange thing is that pinning has been working fine until today. Now it will only download the first album and then stops with the error message "cannot download music right now, will try again later". I even cleared the app data and cache for Google Play Music, which removed all my pinned music, and tried again only for it to fail after the first album.