• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Earth for stock 2.0.1 Droid

What are you doing to make it run smoothly? Don't get me wrong, I anticipated it being a bit choppy and true to form, it's a bit choppy. Rendering is slow, especially after I added "roads" to the layers. But I think this is precisely why the DROID didn't get it in the first place. Honestly, these Google apps need to start utilizing the GPU more for rendering.

Upvote 0

That article basically said they're the same. Because gMaps added a bunch of that functionality in the latest iteration, i.e. more layers. The only thing it can't do is the rotating, MT thing... They should just combine the two. Sometimes, I think Google has different groups working on similar ideas releasing different, but nearly identical apps. For example, Shopper and Goggles. Really? Couldn't these just be combined with enhanced functionality? Earth and Maps should too.

Upvote 0
I personally like some the cross-over integration, while keeping two apps separate. If all you want is the satellite view with the turn by turn navigation, than just stick with Google Maps. If you want more of an interactive experience, go ahead and get Google Earth.

I think it would be more of a nuisance if the overlap didn't occur between some of the Google app products. I would personally hate to have to download one simply to gain one aspect of it.

Why don't they merge? It would hinder the production of both of them. Instead of focusing on one set of features and enhancements with a small team, you now effectively double it on both sides. More people, more differences of opinions, more problems.

Both apps are free, and Android format is open. You always have the option of not installing any app.

Upvote 0
What are you doing to make it run smoothly? Don't get me wrong, I anticipated it being a bit choppy and true to form, it's a bit choppy. Rendering is slow, especially after I added "roads" to the layers. But I think this is precisely why the DROID didn't get it in the first place. Honestly, these Google apps need to start utilizing the GPU more for rendering.

My Droid is completely stock and the only choppiness I experienced was when it loaded the first time and then when I went from my neighborhood to the capitol area in DC (which is fair for it to lag when it is swapping the imagery.) When I move around DC, it is nice and smooth. Now where are my 3d buildings!?

PS: It is a lot smoother than the iPhone version I saw on Jan 13th.

Upvote 0
I just did this (did not have to use Astro like they said) as the above links are dead, but I found the newest link with download file link (must visit it from your phone).

got it, works perfect on NOT rooted. Now, just want to import my local desktop KML files

This Google article helps explain some features not obvious

it is a big file, 25 whopping MB - and since we cannot install apps on our SD cards, I used MyBackUp Pro to backup the app incase I decide to erase it as then I will have it stored on the SD card. Since we cannot import KML files into it, and save them on the SD card, not sure how useful it is to me at this stage of the app.

In the end I backed it up and deleted it and in stead I just find out how to import my Google Earth KML files into My Maps on Google Maps and then in the Droid Maps app, I just went into Layers and viola... there are all of my maps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones