• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google eBooks

Mostly Harmless

Android Expert
Apr 15, 2010
New York
I don't know if anyone else is excited by this but Google eBooks app is now out. I am excited because now there is a very easy way to take books between your computer, phone and tablet. I have tried it out on my N1 and it's not that easy on the eyes, there is only so much text that can be displayed on the screen. Now I want a tablet so I can read on the train (of course I am going to wait until honeycomb). This is exciting news for Google and Android. eBooks seems to fit right along with everything else Google does, easy and painless.

I'm not awfully impressed - their prices don't seem better than elsewhere on the whole, and if I am reading what they say correctly, some of the material is just pdfs of page scans (most Google Books page scans I've tried to use in the past have been so poorly done as to be unusable - I'm talking missing pages and illegible text here). And some other books apparently can't be downloaded. If I've paid for a book, I expect a local copy.

I'm sure publishers would prefer a system where you just get the right to read their book online and don't actually get your grubby fingers on a copy of what you've bought, but I hope that doesn't become the norm in my lifetime.

Upvote 0
I have tried it out on my N1 and it's not that easy on the eyes, there is only so much text that can be displayed on the screen.

I suspect that this is the first time you've used an E-reader on your phone. Don't compare the app to a physical book, compare it to other phone based E-readers! Google Books is now the 4th E-reader I have and the readability is the same as all the others.

The only thing I've noticed is that it takes a long time to load up a book the first time you use it. Good- it has "night" colors that are best for the Incredible's AMOLED screen since it takes no power to display black. I like the live preview when adjusting the text settings.

I agree that the prices are not any better. My other complaint is that it's not easy, or it's impossible to search for the FREE books within a category. Also, searching for books should take me to a display within the app, and not to the internet browser.

Otherwise, I am happy to give Google some of my money for books. I get damn near everything for free from them, and I rarely click on ads, so it's been a good deal for me so far!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones