1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Google Experience Launcher

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by krs128, Dec 6, 2013.

1. krs128

krs128 Well-Known Member
    None

May 1, 2010
    Just recently ordered the Moto X, and was wondering if any one put the Google Experience Launcher on it? (Nexus 5 launcher) does it interfere with any of the Moto X features like Active display or always listening?

Advertisement

2. binary visions

binary visions Android Expert
    None

May 14, 2010
  3. krouget

krouget Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 13, 2010
    This appears to be true of my device, too, but I'm not running the GE launcher. According to this thread, others also have this issue.

Just like you, though, I don't so much care, since we have touchless control. I guess it's only an issue if you ask followup questions, since Google Now tends to understand context a bit better, last I read.

4. binary visions

None

May 14, 2010
    The Moto touchless controls pipe the commands through Google Now, though, so I'm guessing there's no difference.

5. greenmunky

greenmunky Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 7, 2009
    Craft Beer Provider
    Spring, TX
    There isn't. I've been using the GEL and love it. I used to have the Google Now widget just to the right of my home screen, now with the full-on Google Now experience just to the left, it was a super easy transition. It also allows you to change the number of home screens, which is a feature I was very surprised was not present in the stock launcher.

6. krouget

krouget Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 13, 2010
    Yep, looks like you're right. I'm glad context isn't lost coming from a different app.

Interestingly enough, touchless controls seem to be consistently working with just the "Ok, Google" command, either from Now or when the device is asleep. I'm fine with that, if it's intentional.

Love Nova, but I may have to stray a bit and check out the GEL.

7. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Android App Developer
    NY
    *shrug* I dont see why they needed the left screen they have the system wide up-swipe over the home button.

8. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

Jan 7, 2010
    I wonder if it was targeting iOS switchers, where the search was the leftmost screen? Ironically, that's changed in iOS 7...

alostpacket likes this.
  9. binary visions

None

May 14, 2010
    They're just placing it in a location that is discoverable. Home-swipe-up is not really a very discoverable place (not something you'd hit by accident or when just browsing around). Now some of you guys might be thinking you would easily discover it, and that may be true, but would your mother easily discover it? Your technologically challenged brother or uncle? Or would they be more inclined to swipe around the homescreens and never see it? Or see it once during the tutorial at the beginning, and then forget about it because it's not always there?

I like it, frankly. Google Now is one of their biggest plays on Android. They should be making every effort to expose it and make it central to the experience.

alostpacket likes this.
  10. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Android App Developer
    NY
    I really hope that wasnt the reason :|

That's a very good point and discoverability is crucial for UX design.

Though IMHO they should make it something one can turn off -- since the up swipe is just as convenient and less intrusive.

Luckily us moto X users have the always on voice control ;) Soi'm sticking with Nova.

Plus I prefer the ICS icons over the JB or KK ones. (do you guys see ICS icons too?)