1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Google Hangouts for texting

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Apache, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Apache

Apache Well-Known Member

So Google Hangouts is the default carrier # texting app on the Nexus 5, ok. And I also see Google Hangouts at the lower left on my Gmail window. Why then do texts received at my carrier # not show up at both locations? For me they only come to my Nexus 5, not to my GH on my Gmail window.

This is important as I'd like to be able to respond to texts from my PC/laptop > from my Nexus 5 when I'm in front my my PC/laptop.

?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. krs128

krs128 Well-Known Member

because your PC doesn't have a phone number or sim card from your wireless carrier. There for isn't/can't connect to their wireless network to send and receive texts.

if you want to send texts from your PC use Google Voice.

3. Apache

Apache Well-Known Member

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I do use Google Voice to text from my PC, but then that confuses the recipients -- "I have two #'s for you?? Which one should I use??" And I can't really switch to GV completely at this point b/c it does go down from time to time, calls just don't go through. And the vm transcriptions are still quite bad too.

No perfect solution then I guess.

Thanks for your input

4. jclake

jclake Member

With this app installed on your phone and also installed on your PC you can send SMS from your PC or phone and the messages sent from the PC show up on the phone and vice versa.

5. Apache

Apache Well-Known Member

Score! Will try it, thanks!

6. badutahboy

badutahboy Well-Known Member

Mightytext is awesome. I use it all the time. But it simply illustrates how google should have implemented SMS into hangouts. It'd be awesome just to text through hangouts on my computer.

7. zipred

zipred Android Expert

I installed Textra as my default SMS App.

It's perfect for my needs. Lightweight fast and efficient, just what I was looking for.

Most anything social I avoid, it's too easy too waste time with and kills my workflow.

AFKKU likes this.
  8. charliecc

charliecc Android Enthusiast

Give airdroid a try. Does the PC texting thing, but also lots of other phone activities on your PC.

9. BigCiX

BigCiX Android Expert

I know a lot of people don't like hangouts but for me it's perfect!

10. zipred

zipred Android Expert

What do you like about it and how do you use it?

11. BigCiX

BigCiX Android Expert

Email and SMS in one app. The ability to use SMS only is also great. The only thing I don't like about it is no slideslow option.

zipred likes this.
  12. JunBringer

JunBringer Android Expert

I'll second all of this^

Hopefully it's not too late for Google to implement this in the future, cause I love having everything integrated like that. For now though, it's MightyText and AirDroid for me.

Nexus 5 Forum

The Nexus 5 release date was November 2013. Features and Specs include a 4.95" screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon 800 processor, 2300mAh battery, and 2GB storage.

November 2013
Release Date
Reviews