• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Home Hub always says 'Something went wrong'

Pedro Vera

Dec 17, 2014
I am having problems with my Google Home Hub. It almost always says 'Something went wrong. Try again in a few seconds'. How to fix this? I get this when I say 'Hello Google'

secondary problem: I have had the Hub for some years. I am not sure if it is a Home Hub or a Nest Hub (a newer generation). The device itself does not have an 'About' tab. How to figure out which device it actually is? My phone has a google 'Home' app, but I changed phones since setting up the Hub so I am not sure if that is the correct app.

I had an older Google home hub that would say that every once in a while. I would just unplug it and plug it back in.

It would also say check network connection every once in a while. The network would be fine, so I would just unplug it and plug it back in.

I bought a new Nest Google Home Hub in November 2022 and haven't had any issues.

Reactions: Unforgiven and svim
Upvote 0
That error spoken out often means it lost the DNS for whatever reason. When I tried using them I'd have to put them on a timer that basically 'rebooted' them a few times a day or I'd be guaranteed it'd fail with some variation of 'Something Went Wrong' or 'There was a glitch'. In the end it made more sense to use Google Assistant on the phone in the room with me which always seemed to work better.

The platform became more trouble in the end when I was using smart lighting. After a long day of work, the last thing I looked forward to was saying "Hey Google turn on the living room lights" to have one out of three light up, the second coming on super dim 40 seconds later, and the speaker inevitably saying "Living room lights are not responding at the moment' and worse is the lights wouldn't turn off. I ended up having to turn them all off manually, and turn them back on. Not very convenient, is it?

It did work far better than Amazon Alexa. That infuriating little freak would always endless loop with "There's many devices with that name, which one do you want?" when there was only ONE group called "living room lights!"

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones