1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Google I/O Gift Droid still has 3G Service

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pingpongboss, May 27, 2010.

1. pingpongboss

pingpongboss Android Enthusiast

The Motorola Droid that I got from Google I/O came with 30 days of free service. That was supposed to end on May 24th, but I'm still getting 3G service and ability to call/receive calls.

Anyone other Google I/O attendees wanna check their phone and see if they have service too? I'm not sure if they're charging me for the usage or not. I would've thought the phone would just not pick up any 3G signals after the 24th.

2. potatolover1102

potatolover1102 Android Enthusiast

For an event on the 19th, why would thirty days of service end five days later? I would think you had until June 19th?

3. pingpongboss

This year, Google shipped the Droid to everyone about a month before the conference!

4. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Android Expert

I dont see a problem here... just keep using it and keep your lips zipped :)

5. asdasd

asdasd Newbie

just a quick question, but how much did the conference cost?

6. dmodert66

dmodert66 Android Expert

I believe it was $400...But that got you a Droid and an Evo plus the conference, party, etc...

7. Legacystar

Legacystar Android Enthusiast

?Did thbey bgive you an evo or just make them available to purchace

8. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Android Expert

Yeah, when I watched it on Youtube they said they were just "making the EVO available to all conference-goers". I mean, the Droid already is worth more than the $400 that the conference is worth. Throwing in an EVO would be ridiculous!

9. pingpongboss

I totally would if I could get some kind of confirmation that they wouldn't charge me a boatload!

$500 general admission, $100 academia. I'm a student so I got in cheap :)

Gave it out for free.

Haha I know when I heard it I wasn't sure if I was supposed to be really happy since he didn't say off the bat that it would be free.

10. shadowdude777

Wow, that's excellent! How much is Google losing on each person!? I'm a student too, so I'd be eligible. I'd love to sign up to go next year, but I'm not a developer and I would feel selfish taking the seat at I/O and all those goodies from the actual devs. Supposedly it's very limited seating, right?

11. n0really

n0really Member

^ Ha! Google can't be losing anything. That is, if you think about the conference's long term effects. I don't plan on developing popular apps, but I'm still going next year. $100 is a great price for being a student. I'd still be happy even if they don't give out a phone next time.

12. pingpongboss

Yea attracting a bunch of young, eager developers to your platform is well worth more than a few phones

13. shadowdude777

That's definitely true. I didn't consider how great of an investment it is and that frankly, the phones are probably chump change for a huge company like Google. :cool:

Motorola Droid Forum

The Motorola Droid release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 256GB RAM, processor, and 1400mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews