• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google is merging Chrome OS and Android

jefboyardee

Extreme Android User
Jan 18, 2011
Google is merging Chrome OS and Android

The new operating system is expected to be released sometime in 2017. While this is a major and somewhat surprising move — Chromebooks have been fairly successful and are a great low-cost computer option — it's easy to see how Google got here. Sundar Pichai, who's now leading Google, was put in charge of both Chrome and Android two years ago, and he's made moves to bring the two operating systems closer in that time. That includes adding support for Android apps inside of Chrome OS. Though support is still limited, some Android apps are up and running on Chromebooks. Google also revealed a convertible Android laptop last month, called the Pixel C. Now, it seems like that's just an early sign of what's to come.​

Im a fan of the move .I've long thought android could work in a desktop environment with a few changes and programs/apps designed to work in such an environment.

Some of the biggest limitations and road blocks have been things like no multi-window support and a lack of apps/programs designed for a desktop type work.

To be successful Google needs to sit and think about what has people saying "i love android but i need a cpu for...." and figure out a way to bring it to android.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones