1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Google keyboard update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by DC1022, Jun 7, 2013.

1. DC1022

DC1022 Well-Known Member

So even though the Nexus 4 comes with the Google keyboard stock, it is now updating through the play store now. Anyone had any issue with updating or anything?

2. SuperDave70

SuperDave70 Member

No problems here since the update. I don't really notice any difference.

3. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-)

I think the only change for us *is* that it becomes updateable from Google Play if they change anything in the future.

4. dunjamon

dunjamon Android Enthusiast

It might just be me...but I notice that it seems to vibrate a bit more when you're typing.

5. DC1022

DC1022 Well-Known Member

Is anyone else finding it drains a very slight bit more than it used to?

6. DC1022

DC1022 Well-Known Member

Also I've found that the quick shortcuts don't work anymore now that I've updated.

7. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert

I noticed .. absolutely nothing. Completely forgot I'd run the update. Not sure what it was to do, but it clearly wasn't anything significant.

8. DC1022

DC1022 Well-Known Member

Sorry the shortcuts do work however, only when tapping. I find when i swipe it does not show the shortcuts

9. DC1022

DC1022 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how to put the voice key to only appear after pressing the number key,or did the new update remove that function?

10. Marcus Assab

Marcus Assab Newbie

The one thing I noticed is its got rid of holo blue design in the predicted text area and when you swype

11. 2prevail

2prevail Android Enthusiast

I love it

12. SlyFerret

SlyFerret Android Enthusiast

It seems to work much better for me. I don't know what was up with the previous keyboard on my N4, but it was the worst android on-screen keyboard I'd ever used. The accuracy was terrible!

So far, I'm very happy with this update.

-SF

pendemic likes this.
  13. SiempreTuna

I'd completely forgotten I updated it yesterday until I saw this thread. I've noticed absolutely no difference at all :D

14. ooberandy

ooberandy Android Enthusiast

I use swiftkey and was wondering whether to try the updated keyboard. Since many are saying there's not much difference, I think I'll stick with what I have :)

15. SiempreTuna

I actually noticed a difference: what ought to be the enter key (but only is if you shift) in SMS is now a smileys key. No practical difference, but still totally dumb.

16. ooberandy

ooberandy Android Enthusiast

I've started to use Hangouts for SMS, so there's a specific emoji button in that app. Swiftkey has a few smileys on hand already

17. wmm

wmm Android Enthusiast

I installed the most recent update and quickly uninstalled it: the number of symbols available via a long press of the period key was drastically reduced in the new version, dropping the parentheses and other symbols I use frequently. I can't imagine why that was viewed as an improvement.

18. wmm

wmm Android Enthusiast

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I had left a wrong (or at least incomplete) impression that I want to correct. While it is true that a lot of the symbols have disappeared from the long-press '.' key, I have found out that there is a compensating workaround: when you press the "?123" key, the keyboard immediately switches to the numeric/symbols keypad. If, instead of releasing the "?123" key, you swipe to a symbol, that symbol will be inserted and the keyboard will immediately revert to the alphabetic keypad.

For me, at least, that's just about a wash with the old long-press '.' method: there's a longer swipe to the parentheses, for instance, but there's no long-press delay, either. That has removed my disincentive for upgrading to the current Google keyboard, so I wanted to pass that along for anyone who had the same reaction to the missing symbols that I did.

Nexus 4 Forum

The Nexus 4 release date was November 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, and 2100mAh battery.

November 2012
Release Date
Reviews