• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Keyboard

JBentleyR

Android Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2014
Cheshire
On turning on my phone just now, I saw a notification that several apps were being automatically updated but thought nothing of it as this is quite a frequent occurrence. When I then opened Facebook and began to type a reply to someone's post, I found a horrible new keyboard! Being quite happy with, and used to, the old version I clicked in the notifications and found, amongst the updated apps, Google Keyboard and immediately clicked to delete all updates which, thankfully, restored my old keyboard.
Unfortunately, I now feel vibrations when I press the keys!

I have two questions:
Firstly, how do I turn off the vibrations; I cannot find the Google Keyboard in 'apps'?
Secondly, is it possible to turn off automatic updates, at least for certain apps? I'd much rather they'd ask me and give me the opportunity of choosing.

I'd be very grateful for any advice.

!

I have two questions:
Firstly, how do I turn off the vibrations; I cannot find the Google Keyboard in 'apps'?
Secondly, is it possible to turn off automatic updates, at least for certain apps? I'd much rather they'd ask me and give me the opportunity of choosing.

Google Keyboard - you can change the settings in the language/input area of settings

To turn off vibration (from https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2819577?hl=en),
  1. Open your device's Settings app
    45AE68F84558357DEFC538478E4E36F4BE37
  2. Touch Language & input > Google Keyboard > Preferences.
  3. Switch on or off Vibrate on keypress and Sound on keypress
To turn off automatic updates, you can go to play store app, settings - and disable automatic updates. I don't think it will let you disable that for only some apps though.

Just out of curiosity, what is it about the new keyboard that you didn't like?
http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/0...y-borders-new-gestures-and-more-apk-download/

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0
Google Keyboard - you can change the settings in the language/input area of settings

To turn off vibration (from https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2819577?hl=en),
  1. Open your device's Settings app
    45AE68F84558357DEFC538478E4E36F4BE37
  2. Touch Language & input > Google Keyboard > Preferences.
  3. Switch on or off Vibrate on keypress and Sound on keypress
To turn off automatic updates, you can go to play store app, settings - and disable automatic updates. I don't think it will let you disable that for only some apps though.

Just out of curiosity, what is it about the new keyboard that you didn't like?
http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/0...y-borders-new-gestures-and-more-apk-download/
Many thanks for that, JJ.

I knew there must be somewhere where I could turn off the vibrate option, and have now done so.

I have opened the Play Store app settings, but I cannot see a facility to disable automatic updates, only 'uninstall updates', 'force stop' and 'disable'. However, at least I know how to remove updates when they happen.

As for the new keyboard, I suppose it's just a personal preference with regard to appearance. I'm used to the letters in black boxes which I find easier to see. I shall, however, have a look at the link you supplied. Perhaps I might take to the new one if it has brought with it some practical advantages.

Upvote 0
@JBentleyR

All of the things you don't like about the new should be editable in the Language & input > Google Keyboard > Preferences
Theme: Change to Material Dark
Untick Vibrate on Keypress

One thing I really like about the new keyboard is that they included a one handed typing option. It's great for large phones like my nexus 6. You can easily swap between one handed and full keyboard on the fly. It looks like they now added emoji predictions as well, if you're into that. Those are the main things I've noticed so far, and have actually made use of the one handed typing a few times.

To switch to one handed typing mode without entering the settings for your keyboard, longpress the comma and slide your finger to the new icon next to the settings gear. Once it's up you can change between left and right with one tap and back to a full screen keyboard with one tap. Side note, this is also a quick way to access your keyboard settings without going through the phones menus. Any time your keyboard is active, longpress the comma and slide your finger to the settings gear.

As for disabling automatic updates in the play store, open up your play store app, then menu > settings within the app. Change auto update apps to never.

Edit:
And you should be able to disable automatic updates on specific apps. I leave them disabled so I might not be remembering correctly, but I think if you have them enabled, you visit a specif app in the Play Store and uncheck the box to update automatically.

Last edited:
Reactions: jj14x
Upvote 0
@JBentleyR

All of the things you don't like about the new should be editable in the Language & input > Google Keyboard > Preferences
Theme: Change to Material Dark
Untick Vibrate on Keypress

One thing I really like about the new keyboard is that they included a one handed typing option. It's great for large phones like my nexus 6. You can easily swap between one handed and full keyboard on the fly. It looks like they now added emoji predictions as well, if you're into that. Those are the main things I've noticed so far, and have actually made use of the one handed typing a few times.

To switch to one handed typing mode without entering the settings for your keyboard, longpress the comma and slide your finger to the new icon next to the settings gear. Once it's up you can change between left and right with one tap and back to a full screen keyboard with one tap. Side note, this is also a quick way to access your keyboard settings without going through the phones menus. Any time your keyboard is active, longpress the comma and slide your finger to the settings gear.

As for disabling automatic updates in the play store, open up your play store app, then menu > settings within the app. Change auto update apps to never.

Edit:
And you should be able to disable automatic updates on specific apps. I leave them disabled so I might not be remembering correctly, but I think if you have them enabled, you visit a specif app in the Play Store and uncheck the box to update automatically.
Thanks for your input, Brian.

Yes, if and when it tries to update again I'll have a look at those options. As for the 'one handed' typing option, I'm afraid I don't really understand as I type 'single-fingered' on my phone! I can touch-type on my computer keyboard, but that isn't an option on the phone screen. What advantage would 'one handed' typing offer me?

The other advantages of the new keyboard don't really appeal to me but, as I said, I'll give them a shot when it updates again.

I have opened the Play Store app using the Settings/Apps route and also by clicking the Play Store app button on the home screen and in both cases I have not seen a menu. In fact, the latter route to finding the Play Store only brings up lots of apps to download. Perhaps I have been looking in the wrong place.
In any event, I'm not going to disable automatic updates now in order to have the opportunity to look at the new keyboard again.

Upvote 0
I have opened the Play Store app using the Settings/Apps route and also by clicking the Play Store app button on the home screen and in both cases I have not seen a menu. In fact, the latter route to finding the Play Store only brings up lots of apps to download. Perhaps I have been looking in the wrong place.

Launch the play store - tap the 3 horizontal bars (top left, in search bar), and scroll down and tap on settings.
The first entry in settings should be "auto update apps" - tap on it, and change to "Do not auto-update apps". You'll still get notified about new updates - you'll just have to tap "update" (or "update all") in the notification bar, or in the play store app.

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0
Thanks JJ.
I saw the three bars before, but thought that was the Google address/search bar that appears on the home screen. I apologise and realise that I must appear rather stupid!
Anyway, I have followed your instructions and changed that option to "Do not auto-update apps".
I prefer in general to keep things as they are unless something really worth having should appear. I confess that I am still on KitKat.
Many thanks again.

Reactions: Brian706 and jj14x
Upvote 0
With all the cosmetic changes that Google makes, it is kinda hard to keep track. So, don't feel bad about that :)
This is a fairly friendly community, so ask away.

Kitkat - yikes! So, I assume you are skipping the monthly security updates too (unless you are not using the stock ROM). And I'm on the other extreme - on the Android N preview! Is there an update? Let me read about it - if there are no reported issues, install! lol!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones