1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Google latitude question

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Cyber64, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Cyber64

Cyber64 Lurker
    None

Jul 24, 2013
    I have been using the latitude part of google maps for a while to share locations on the map between family, as of the latest maps update it appears it doesnt have the latitude feature as its being retired. Apparently you can access locations through google+ but I cant seem to get this to work? I have been on the locations part of google+ but the same people I had on latitude before dont appear on my map and I cant find where to add them.
    Any help appreciated I just want to be able to use it like before as much as possible, bring a map up and be able to see people on your family list's locations.

Advertisement

2. Bloomy6

Bloomy6 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 9, 2011
    Open g+, go into locations, settings in upper right corner, click on "who can see your best available location", from the you can choose a circle or click the search in upper right corner and manually add people. When exciting that menu, be sure that your location settings are appropriate. After you have sent the invite, that person will need to accept and their location settings will also need to be appropriate. I also had that person send me an invite just to be sure that we are able to see each other but I don't think it's necessary. Hope this helps

3. Cyber64

Cyber64 Lurker
    None

Jul 24, 2013
    Hi, thanks for the reply.
    I have managed to get us both added in google+ and they both display, however the map displays on my phone, but on my dad's phone it shows the location pins but theres no map, just a background grid - ive made another post about this but dont think its been replied to yet, any ideas what can be causing this and how we can fix it? They are both Samsung Galaxy S2's.
    Many thanks.

4. Bloomy6

None

Jan 9, 2011
    My guess is that your dad's phone is not connected to data or wi-fi then. It will need a connection to data of some sort in order to build the map on the screen. It can place the pins but without map data, it can't create the map. Just a first guess. Double check that his phone is connected to wifi or data.

5. Cyber64

Cyber64 Lurker
    None

Jul 24, 2013
    Ok ill try that out later first and see, it should be connected to the home wifi but ill double check that first.
    Many thanks.

6. Cyber64

Cyber64 Lurker
    None

Jul 24, 2013
    Hi, it does have its data connection. Also worth mentioning that the map displays perfectly in the maps app - its only having the problem and showing just the grid in locations from within g+, any more ideas on what can be causing this?
    Ive read about others having the same problem, but a lot of the time custom roms are mentioned, neither of us use anything like this, the only difference I can think of is that I dont think my dad's phone has had the gingerbread update yet and mine has - could this be related?
    Many thanks.

7. Bloomy6

None

Jan 9, 2011
    That could be a possibility. Beyond that, I'm not to sure what else to check. If I do come up with another possibility I will post

8. Cyber64

Cyber64 Lurker
    None

Jul 24, 2013
    Ok thanks, ill try and update the o/s on it later and see if that helps, if not yeah ill keep checking for any other suggestions.
    Many thanks.