• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Latitude - running in the background?

sghere

Nov 7, 2009
IL
Good morning!

I've read several posts, but didn't find the exact answer I'm looking for...so sorry if I did miss the one that covers it.

I use Google Latitude with several friends, but have noticed that when I run it in the background, my last know location on the friends phone shows where I "stopped" but never updates.

Example: I leave my house with Google Maps/Latitude running and decide I want to listen to DroidLive. Once I switch to DroidLive it appears that Latitude stops broadcasting my locations and my friends see that I'm in the middle of a highway for 30-40 minutes until I kill my music and go back to the maps. Is this a known "bug" or is it something that just doesn't work?

I thought that the processes would continue to work, but I might be wrong. I also notice that when launching another app while in Google Maps that my GPS indicator also stops until I get back into the Maps.

Anyone else have any insight into this?

Thanks!!
Shayne

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones