1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Google Map Location issue

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by mkgarrison78, Jun 13, 2011.

1. mkgarrison78

mkgarrison78 Lurker
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    hello folks new here and glad this forum is around. my issue

i have a droid x (latest version) and when i am at home sitting on the couch and open my google map app it shows that i am a few miles away from where i am really at. this is using the wireless networks and my wi fi (gps turned off)... however when i am at work its almost dead eye accurate (even without using gps). now if my wi fi is literally sitting a few feet away why is the map showing my location miles down the road? after some research it said that if you are using a wi fi the google map locator should have you within 200yds not a few miles. any help would be appreciative. the gps works fine. btw even when i turn my wi fi off and let the 3g locate me its still the same. it shows that i am miles away..

Advertisement

2. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    Non-GPS methods have varying levels of accuracy. The location data of the points in your area definitely impact accuracy. Your location accuracy at work is irrelevant to your accuracy at home unless your work at home. Distance to your WiFi access point isn't used to determine your location so it's not relevant either. WiFi locating services use a database of SSID's to determine location. Tower triangulation relies on cell towers so specific cell tower placement definitely affects accuracy.

If you want GPS accuracy then use GPS.

3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    There are three ways that the phone's location can be determined, each with varying levels of accuracy. Obviously the best is the GPS coordinates. That is followed by Wireless Networks, not to be confused with WiFi. When Google speaks of location services through wireless networks, they mean triangulating your location from nearby cell towers. The final way is through sync'ing service over WiFi, which can only go by your router's IP address. Depending on the type of service you have in your house what you are most likely seeing as your home location is an approximation of your provider's network node.

4. mkgarrison78

mkgarrison78 Lurker
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    i see thanks guys so much for your time in helping me understand this.