1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Google Maps 5.0 Freezes

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gtmike, Jan 11, 2011.

1. gtmike

gtmike Newbie

Ever since updating to Google Maps 5.0, I've been experiencing random freezes and occasional reboots when loading the app. For me, it never happened with the previous version of Maps. I thought it may have been a problem with OTA 2.3.340, but after rooting and installing Apex 1.3.1, I still have the problem.

Anyone else having this problem? Any ideas on how to fix?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mancow

mancow Well-Known Member

I am getting it regularly now. When I open maps it freezes the entire phone and after about five minutes the phone will reboot. Maps works again after rebooting but will again freeze if not used in several hours.

Also, latitude has been acting odd. It indicated that a friend's Hero is not supported when I tried to look at his location when he was travelling to my house. Another friend shows stale and has not updated for four days. That phone is an Incredible.

What's going on here?

3. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Easiest thing to try... Go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications, find Maps, and clear the data from it.

Second easiest thing to try, uninstall it and reinstall it.

4. nycebo

nycebo Android Enthusiast

I have had the same troubles as mentioned above. It drives me crazy now and again. BV, I've done as you suggested out of habit and will see if it freezes again. Candidly, I think this is really like a Maps version 1 again since they added the new caching. Hoping that it resolves itself.

5. spect2k

spect2k Lurker

Im having this same problem. Any resolution? Maps freezes for me every other time that I open it on my droid x.

6. gtmike

gtmike Newbie

Following up on my original post, I restored my phone to stock 2.3.340 using the Maderstcok method, did a factory reset, and then reinstalled the ApeX ROM. Probably overkill, but now Google Maps is smooth as silk (along with everything else thanks to ApeX).

Note: You should be comfortable with rooting your phone & using the Droid X Boostrapper if you want to follow the same procedure. Use I recommend Rooler's Guide for help getting started.

7. aro0815

aro0815 Lurker

I am having the exact same problem.
    Clearing the data did not bring any improvement for me.

I am running 2.3.2 stock on my Nexus S (waiting for the 2.3.3 OTA update).

I hope Google will fix this problem one way or he the other, as I am using Maps a lot.

Anyone knows if it was already reported to Google in their bug tracker?

8. sirv

sirv Lurker

I used a cache clearing utility from market to clear a bunch of caches, including Google Maps Navigation cache on the SD card, uninstalled Google Maps updates, and reinstalled -- I rebooted the phone between each step. Phone is working much better now, including when using Google Maps.

9. rsarres

rsarres Lurker

My Google Maps was giving gray screen: Google maps not responding, and asking if I wanted to close it. I did not close it, and waited for it to resume responding, 20 seconds delays to respond to commands. I factory reset it, updated google maps to 5.8 (latest), it got better but still got frozen sometimes. It stoppped freezing when I disabled Wifi. I tried this because when Google Maps freezes, it comes back after 10-20 seconds with a better location precision (a smaller blue circle). My GPS is disabled, and as wifi is one of the location services, disabling it should accelerate the location process. When I disabled Wifi, my phone came back to life and everything got faster, no more freezes in google maps whatsoever. Actually, it solved the problem so far (I changed it today). So maybe the location service using wifi is bugged and slowing down the entire phone.
    Just my 2 cents.

10. humbera

humbera Lurker

I am having this same issue with Maps freezing upon startup and Droid rebooting. I don't possess enough knowledge to understand when people talk about cache, clearing data, etc. Any idea if Google is aware of this issue and if so is there a fix for this yet? If not, can anyone suggest a solution that someone like myself with very limited technical knowledge can follow? Thank you.

Motorola Droid X Forum

The Motorola Droid X release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, TI OMAP3630 processor, and 1540mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews