• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google maps almost unusable on Alcatel Fierce 2

MyUsernameRox

Android Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2012
San Luis Obispo, CA
Twice now in the past couple of days, I have had to use Google Maps while driving. I'm on the 1GB 4G (non LTE) plan, so initially I tried to use the maps to navigate while on 2g. It wouldn't work at all so I set the phone to 4G (WCDMA/GSM auto), it still wouldn't work, the blue arrow icon remained stationary and would not move as my journey progr I have always been able to use maps to navigate and watch my progress in real time as I drove. essed - making it impossible to tell where I actually was. No keep in mind on my prior phones such as the LG motion, the LG f60, and even the Optimus M, with its paltry 1x data,

Sorry for the break, this website is horrible on mobile and I could not go back and edit or scroll down.
Anyway, even on an Optimus M with its paltry 1x connection,
I have always been able to navigate using maps and watch my progress in real time on my device.

Any ideas on what the issue may be? I know I haven't exceeded my data allotment, either.

Upvote 0
Have you tried changing the GPS settings - GPS Only, Cell networks?

If the issue is not getting data, it's possible to not use any data with some navigation apps that let you download entire maps beforehand using WiFi. Since the map is already on the phone no data is used for GPS navigation. NavFree and MapFactor are two.

Google Maps can also work offline by downloading maps in advance, but you can only download a small area (one city for example). Look for the options in the settings.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones