• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google maps and multitouch

Burrid

May 4, 2010
Is bad!

When I try to pinch zoom in, it sometimes zooms out twice as hard.
When I try to pinch zoom out, it sometimes zooms in twice as hard.
When I try to pinch zoom in or out, it sometimes just moves the map.

With sometimes I mean, every time I'm in google maps all 3 of those problems occur more than it works normal.

This makes me sad, I've just read about the bad multitouch screen of the desire and I cannot help but notice the problems it gives in google maps.

i have never had this, and have used maps a fair bit over the last few weeks while travelling. Moreover, i have not experienced any problems with the multitouch in general, and feel the reports of the "bad multitouch screen" are overstated in the sense that they will never occur in everyday use.

Nevertheless, can you tell us more? What network? Locked? branded? Software version? google maps version? does it happen on 3g and wifi? Any other multitouch problems?

Upvote 0
I'm testing it on mobile internet right now, but I believe it was the same on wifi. I live in belgium and have a local carrier not bound on a contract. I'm on the latest google maps version and on android 2.1.
I haven't experienced other multitouch problems other than in some games but I will keep an eye on it.

Upvote 0
having tried it, i do get a small 'bounce' that goes the wrong way to the pinch, but then corrects within a split second. I hadnt really noticed this before, and havent in any other apps.
This seems to be app specific (i.e. software) and not due to the multitouch. However, does your issue correct itself?

Upvote 0
I think you'll find it is to do with the zoom scales of google maps, you cannot zoom in and out of the map with infinite increments, they are set increments. It also does the same on a PC. If you bear this in mind and expect the maps to zoom in or out slightly further than expected you will be fine.
Also make sure when you are pinching you are not doing a very tiny pinch, leave at least 3-4 cm between your fingers, it is more accurate this way.

Upvote 0
I think you'll find it is to do with the zoom scales of google maps, you cannot zoom in and out of the map with infinite increments, they are set increments. It also does the same on a PC. If you bear this in mind and expect the maps to zoom in or out slightly further than expected you will be fine.
Also make sure when you are pinching you are not doing a very tiny pinch, leave at least 3-4 cm between your fingers, it is more accurate this way.

it is less about incremental zooming as zooming-in when the gesture is for out, and vice versa. But, as I say, it does this as a 'bounce' on mine, where it zooms out when I gesture in, and then corrects itself to to zooming in.

Upvote 0
it is less about incremental zooming as zooming-in when the gesture is for out, and vice versa. But, as I say, it does this as a 'bounce' on mine, where it zooms out when I gesture in, and then corrects itself to to zooming in.

Yes mine also bounces if I don't move my fingers enough distance to make the map zoom to its next set zoom level. If I say move my fingers apart 1cm to zoom out, if 1cm is not enough to make the map jump to the next zoom level it will jump back to the current zoom level. If you move your fingers apart and just hit the next zoom level increment it may get confused and bounce out and then back in again or visa versa.

It is the way the software is designed and I'm sure there are reasons for it (such as different satellite photo zoom levels) and it would be good if the zoom worked the same as zooming into photos but it doesn't, not yet anyway.

At the end of the day its software problem and not a hardware problem of the Desire.

Upvote 0
Yes mine also bounces if I don't move my fingers enough distance to make the map zoom to its next set zoom level. If I say move my fingers apart 1cm to zoom out, if 1cm is not enough to make the map jump to the next zoom level it will jump back to the current zoom level. If you move your fingers apart and just hit the next zoom level increment it may get confused and bounce out and then back in again or visa versa.

interesting point. I agree, it is nothing to do with hardware.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones