1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Google maps caching?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by a5pe4, May 7, 2012.

1. a5pe4

a5pe4 Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 6, 2011
    Is it possible for me to save maps offline so I can use the directions with the GPS without data? When I leave work I don't have any data for a few miles so I'm unable to use navigation because it can't find the driving directions. Can anyone help?

Advertisement

2. kwknott

kwknott Android Expert
    None

Mar 19, 2012
    Found this info from this Google article.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/download-map-area-added-to-labs-in.html

Open Google maps.
    Go to settings > labs and check pre cache map area.
    While on 3g or wifi go back to map and search for your work address.
    When it shows the little location marker press on it for options.
    At bottom of list select pre cache map area. It will cache a 10 mile radius around your work so you can use maps until you get sighal.

I've never tried this but it might come in handy.

a5pe4, AndyOpie150, rooter1 and 2 others like this.
  3. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Female
    Annoying my X-Husband
    Hanover Park, IL
    I don't have Google Maps installed, but that's some great info you've given there kwknott!

4. bac22

bac22 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 28, 2011
    It should also be noted that google's navigation will also do limited driving directions in the event of lost data connection although the rerouting is rather minor...meaning the more you go off course the less chance navigation will be able to reroute until a data connection is re-established.

Google Maps Navigation for mobile

Why it's not working for the OP seems odd though, you may need to update google maps although the change for Navigation came out last summer.

5. a5pe4

a5pe4 Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 6, 2011
    That maybe true when you start off with data connection but if you are starting without and it's unable to load directions in the first place then maybe it won't work.

6. dun4cheap

dun4cheap Lurker
    None

Aug 9, 2010
    Interesting enough I have been using my tablet to navigate in my car. Recently I found that Google has implemented PreCache Maps for users without 3g/4g wifi. So I decided to try this on my Vtab 1008, I precached some addresses, then turned my wifi off and then tried to navigate the location. I was without lock, it just spins saying trying to get directions. The VTAB has build in GPS and I cached the maps and it shows 9 locations cached. Googles press release mentioned this for Googlemaps and Navigation. Hopefully they fix it soon.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

7. bac22

bac22 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 28, 2011
    It pre-caches the maps, not the directions to your location. You can then go to a location and eyeball the maps for navigation, but getting actual directions or rerouting directions without an internet connection won't work. Essentially you have a digital map at that point with just a GPS location and nothing more.

Tags: