• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Maps can now download maps

john_g

Android Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2010
London, UK
Just thought I'd flag up that the latest release of Google Maps (v5.7) now allows users to download maps! It seems a fairly major upgrade as it also allows the planning of journeys using public transport.

To download what Google call an 'area', do a long press at the centre of the area you want to download and then wait for the address to load. Then tap on the address bubble - this will take you to a screen that now includes an extra option "Download map area". Pressing this will download an area of ten miles by ten miles to your phone. You can download multiple area... they can be seen under Menu -> More -> Cache settings -> Downloaded map areas.

http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/

Just thought I'd flag up that the latest release of Google Maps (v5.7) now allows users to download maps! It seems a fairly major upgrade as it also allows the planning of journeys using public transport.

To download what Google call an 'area', do a long press at the centre of the area you want to download and then wait for the address to load. Then tap on the address bubble - this will take you to a screen that now includes an extra option "Download map area". Pressing this will download an area of ten miles by ten miles to your phone. You can download multiple area... they can be seen under Menu -> More -> Cache settings -> Downloaded map areas.

Official Google Mobile Blog

That sounds pretty good actually... the way I read this means that I can download the maps and then use them with the GPS, without having to use my data connection - is that correct?! :thinking:

Upvote 0
Hooray!

This is something I could always do with my Nokia N95 many moons ago, and I've desperately been waiting for this feature ever since.

Exceptionally useful for when you're going abroad. Save an area you'll be in (for example, when I was in Barcelona a couple of months ago) and you're fine. Whereas when I was actually there, it meant returning to this place we found with free wi-fi whenever we needed to check a map (since 3g is extortionate abroad)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Not mine you can't.
Download does not appear as an option in Labs. I just get the two.
I'm on maps 5.8 now as well.

When I look in Labs I see four things listed:
Scale Bar
Measure
Precache Map Area
Bigger Text

Clearly it's the third one that downloads map areas. I too am on v5.8 and, just in case it turns out that these features are territory-dependant, I'm in the UK.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones