• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Maps does not follow my position

maxsteele

Feb 21, 2010
When I load Google Maps and it first locates me, it centers the map on my location. Once I am travelling, the map does not follow my location. My location dot will go right off the map and I have to manually drag the map to see the next section I am now driving on.

Is there a setting to make Google Maps follow my position while driving?

First, make sure the settings are all on, location, GPS, etc... Settings>Location

The GPS is only used when an APP calls for it so no worries there.

When in Google maps, goto Menu>My Location - this should update your location if it has become stagnant.

I have also found that it is better if using the map while traveling, to exit app by using home button rather than back button... I don't know why, but the back button would screw things a bit. If I backed out of program by using home button when I returned to the maps it would just need me to ask my location and it would zoom right in.
:)

Also, if the Phone is out of signal range (data dependent) you will have an issue too as maps won't update with your movement. There are downloadable map/GPS apps out there but a bit tricky to use. Commercially available ones with street view type GPS are coming out for the Android, if that's your thing... but they cost some bucks.

Anyway, hope this helps.

:cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones