• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google MAPs force close - and linked to Market Issues

Artu

Nov 13, 2009
Hi Folks,
here are the results of a long problem I have had with MAPs and with the Market I have now found to be interrelated.

For some time Market would crash and force close on me if I went to the downloads menu item. I would need to do a bare-metal restore of the phone to get the problem to go away.

Then comes Maps updates. I use maps (not nav) alot. Several updates have happened over the months. After a week or so of use on the updated maps, MAPS would force close and crash every time you tried to use it.

The only cure (short of yet another bare-metal restore) was to go to manage applications and remove Maps which really only removes the updates.

Then maps work fine. However if you try and get the updates again in market, the minute it displays MAPS UpDate Available, Market Crashes with a force close.

There are some things the 'Driod is not doing well, even though it does them :rolleyes:

Looks like yet another full bare-metal restore is in the works this week for me.

Could it be that you have a faulty SDCard? I think that Maps caches some data there, but not sure if Market does as well or not....

Personally, though, I'd go back to VZW and get them to replace the phone - this sort of thing should definitely not be happening....

This is my second phone, I got the first one replaced new during the 30 days period. My first one rebooted like 8-20 times a day. Now they would give me a referb and I don't want that.

I've formatted the SD-card for several issues already. My next experiment is to replace it with a new 2g I have on hand and see how things go. If that fixes it I will have VZW replace the 16gig sd-card.

I checked mine and it did not look like a bootleg card (it had laser-ed lot number not silk screened)

I will also run an SD-ram checker program on it this coming weekend.

Upvote 0
100% stock, no mods here or I would not post it as a problem.

I've tried all my problems I've had with no non-stock downloads (only stock updates) and still get problems within a week.

The apps I do download are weather channel, tricorder, WiFi analyser, Astro; all very benign apps.

before 2010 I did download the ebay app, but it broke so often with force closes I quit using it.

Upvote 0
Weird. Something definitely ain't right then.

I stopped using Weather Channel app as it gave me too many problems, never have used Tricroder, and don't use WiFi Analyzer b/c the only WiFi I use is my home network - and the router is less than 15' away from the phone at all times.

I use Astro practically every day. So we can rule out Astro.

Try running a couple of days without WC, and if it still happens, then try running a couple of days without tricorder, and if that still doesn't do it then try without WiFiAnalyzer (Although I doubt this one as I know several people are using it as well).

Since you're not looking at a list of 60+ apps, it will be relatively easy to test and see if it is in fact an app, or if it is something else...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones