1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Google Maps High CPU once per day

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by staffsmatt, Feb 19, 2011.

1. staffsmatt

staffsmatt Well-Known Member

Bit of a strange one but I've got Watch Dog (lite) installed and once per day I get an alert about Google maps using 50% + CPU. This normally co-incides with Tasker turning my wifi on automatically first thing in the morning.

Is anyone else having similar Google Maps High CPU usage issues, or any idea what Google Maps is doing once per day? Is there some sort of update going on?

I don't think it's tasker related as when the profile runs again later in the day (when I get home) I don't get a warning.

Advertisement

2. DaWeav

DaWeav Android Enthusiast

Are you logged into Latitude inside the Google Maps app? When I'm logged into Latitude in Google Maps for Android, it kills my Android's battery.

3. staffsmatt

Nope I don't even have a Latitude account....

4. wtf123

wtf123 Lurker

I'm having the same problem on my HTC incredible. Have you tried installing a packet sniffer to see what its doing. I may try that soon.

5. staffsmatt

No I havn't tried that... have you got tasker installed as well? I might try uninstalling Maps and re-installing to see if that sorts it...

6. wtf321

wtf321 Lurker

I dont have tasker installed.

I rooted my phone over the weekend and downloaded a program called Shark to capture all traffic from the phone. Last night I got the Watchdog lite cpu alert for google maps while I was capturing the packets.

after briefly analyzing the packets it looks like google is sending some binary files down to the phone every night. I don't know if they are updates for maps or maybe advertising info.

Here is a screen shot of the file list:
    pcap1.png

7. wtf321

wtf321 Lurker

Ok, I need to look into this a little more as I am not very good at looking at pcap files. It appears there was also some data sent back to google, around 27KB, which doesn't seem like a lot. I'll try to look into the details more.
    outgoing.png

8. staffsmatt

Just a thought, do you normally have all data connections turned off? Overnight I only have normal 2G (phone) connectivity... just wondering if there is normally a backgroun connection tot he google servers and when a connection is made after an extended period with no connection all the data comes at once?

9. wtf321

wtf321 Lurker

No I normally have everything turned on except GPS. It looks like its going through my wifi connection since the IP is 192.x.x.x

10. staffsmatt

Hey, just had a thought. Do you think it's anything to do with the pre-fetch / caching of maps... It only seems to hapen when I have wifi on and my cache settings are set as only when using wifi...

11. staffsmatt

wtf321:- not sure if you're still interested in this, but do you use latitude? I've never joined and if I open the latitude app on my phone maps force closes.... not sure if this is related...