• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Maps in compass mode?

Just found this official response on Google support forums - after may postings asking what had happened to Compass mode they said:

Compass:
Apologies as I may have misunderstood what you were speaking about. I believed you were referring to "Compass mode" within Street View, where the image rotates based on the phone's compass; this is still included in 3.1.x. I now understand that you were referring to an actual compass on the map. This only appeared if you had installed the separate Spare Parts app that created a compass on-screen. This was not part of the pre-installed native Maps app originally and was never an officially supported feature of the Google Maps app.

Spare Parts uses some protocols that are non-standard and unsupported; therefore, the features that Spare Parts created are not compatible with the new version of Maps in Android Market.

We've certainly heard you on the popularity of an on-screen compass and will take a look at this feature. Apologies again for the confusion. Please let me know if you're referring to something else without having installed the Spare Parts app.

So - there you have it:mad:

Upvote 0
Wait, you're saying that:
1) the Spare parts thing is supposed to superimpose a compass rose&needle onto the map
and that
2) Google Maps already orients the map according to compass reading
?

I follow you on (1) so if it's experimental, that's okay if it doesn't work.

But regarding (2), I have never seen Google Maps point North anywhere but up. I'm on a semi-broken Galaxy so that may be the reason, but maybe I missed a setting somewhere? :thinking:

Upvote 0
Wait, you're saying that:
1) the Spare parts thing is supposed to superimpose a compass rose&needle onto the map
and that
2) Google Maps already orients the map according to compass reading
?

I follow you on (1) so if it's experimental, that's okay if it doesn't work.

But regarding (2), I have never seen Google Maps point North anywhere but up. I'm on a semi-broken Galaxy so that may be the reason, but maybe I missed a setting somewhere? :thinking:

Answering the 2 questions
1. Spare parts did supermpose a compass on the previous version of maps but is incompatible with the latest version.

2. No it just points North/up - no integration with built in compass whatsoever (unless you go into street view):mad:

We just have to hope it is implemented in the next version.

Upvote 0
It is kind of bizarre. Android phones have had compasses in them since the G1 (i think... the magic definitely has one though), the iPhone only just got one with the 3GS, yet the iPhone version has the compass functionality in it and the android version doesnt. Bah!

I thought the big advantage that Android had over iPhone was that apps could address functionality at operating system level, so it really is strange that one of Google's own apps is not doing this. I would assume that maximum functionality would be with a Google app running on Android.

Upvote 0
Here ya go!?!

images

Cut this out, stick it to the screen of your Hero and everyone's a winner!!

Chegs.........turning sad faces into happy ones :D

Upvote 0
Correct me if I'm wrong but the Hero DOES have compass mode.

1. Go to google maps
2. Long press a point on the map to bring up the address
3. Click on the address and select street view
4. Press menu and select compass view

Voila! (or am I missing something)

Impress your iphone buddies with this feature, I've shown a few ppl and their eyes nearly popped out of their sockets!!! :D

It SHOULD be easier to use this feature, but it's included!!

Upvote 0
Correct me if I'm wrong but the Hero DOES have compass mode.

1. Go to google maps
2. Long press a point on the map to bring up the address
3. Click on the address and select street view
4. Press menu and select compass view

Voila! (or am I missing something)

Impress your iphone buddies with this feature, I've shown a few ppl and their eyes nearly popped out of their sockets!!! :D

It SHOULD be easier to use this feature, but it's included!!

As posted earlier in the thread this is not what is being discussed - please look at the video posted at the beginning.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones