• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Maps is off by a block or two

Using the GPS receiver, the DROID should be within 10 feet of accuracy. Using 3G or wireless (with the GPS receiver turned OFF) will be way more inaccurate ... as much as a couple of miles in rural areas, a couple of blocks in town.

Even the garmin sirf III (or whatever) units I've used have had some issues with being accurate when surrounded by tall buildings. If it's supposed to be accurate to 10 feet then I've never had a correctly functioning gps unit. And certainly all three of the Droids I've used have had this issue. They work fine in the suburbs and most of the city, but if I'm in "the loop" in downtown Chicago, it'll lock on a street or two away from where I actually am more often than not...

Upvote 0
the city, but if I'm in "the loop" in downtown Chicago, it'll lock on a street or two away from where I actually am more often than not...

GPS will never be accurate in skyscraper caverns, where the GPS signals are bouncing off buildings left and right.

I was trying to find a hotel in Philly and the Garmin had me driving all over the place, because it could never get a true fix of where I really was. Finally my wife said, "Is this it?" I was right in front of the hotel, and the GPS was telling me to turn left in 2 blocks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones