• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Maps Issues

Napalm

Android Expert
Jul 28, 2010
Memphis, TN
A few days ago there was a mass of updates to various apps - Maps was one of the updates.

From this point on I'd had issues where I would get a warning message "maps has stopped working" randomly while doing other activities on the phone. AS in - in the middle of a phone call while on speakerphone this would flash on the screen.

Maps also wouldn't load - if I wanted to use naviagation I could use Waze - but maps would never get off the start screen. And it would run hard enough to make the phone hot to hold.

I would send feedback to google occasionally when it happened.

Finally I gave up and uninstalled maps - or rather I disabled it in the app manager. You can't uninstall maps. This does revert it back to the version on the phone's ROM when you took it out of the box.

Then I would run again - so I ran another update - and it not works like it should.

If anyone else has issues perhaps try this. I think I might have gotten a corrupted update. I can happen.

Reactions: Alejandro becerra
Indeed that also happens however it was invasive enough I wanted to ensure I has as clean a slate as possible. This saves a step.

Had I cleared cache and data but still had a corrupted update I would still have issues. uninstall back to another version - then reupdate give you both cleared data and a shot as a clean update at the same time.

Eitherway it all took about 3 minutes.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones