1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Google maps Lat Long

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by geoffbristol, Jun 11, 2017.

1. geoffbristol

geoffbristol Lurker

Having a boat - it bugs me a bit my phone will not easily show a gps lat long position in a proper format !
    But actually it will !

Someone should tell Google that all marine charts and land maps - are gridded to Deg and minutes.
    The decimal deg - is maybe what the gps sattelite sends - but maps and charts use minutes.
    Why - simply because 1 min of 1 deg of Lat defines the nautical mile !

Deg, min, secs is archaic and seldom used now for anything.

Even an OS Landranger map - with its own grid system - if you look to extreme outside edge of the map it will show a deg Lat grid - and divisions in minutes. For marine use - minutes are diviided as a decimal - ie 24 deg 18.78 minutes.

So - straight Google maps - if you press and hold on the screen ( with a data or wifi connection ) you get a box below citing 'an address' or a named location. In the search box at the top will appear the lat long as decimal deg ( not helpful ) ie 24.29467 etc

However - if you do the same 'offline' - no wifi, no data ( airplane mode is easiest ) - even if right on a blued out area thats in google maps memory ( ie near your home ) - the bottom box now shows a nice Lat Long position in Deg, Min Secs.

Shame I can't change the settings to deg, decimal minutes - but its good enough for a position on an OS map to within 100 m or so - interpolating the secs.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. tommo47

tommo47 On Yer Bike, In Yer Chair
    VIP Member

It may be worthwhile having a look at :-

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cruthu.latlongcalcpro

It will give you a location directly from GPS in a number of formats and a second location can be entered directly or from your own database of saved locations to give a bearing and distance.

I use it for hiking/hill walking.

Screenshot_20170612-060813.png Screenshot_20170612-084257.png

The locations can be viewed in any map apps you have on your device including Google Maps. I prefer to use OsmAnd+ which is my goto app for hill walking.

Screenshot_20170612-062813.png Screenshot_20170612-062651.png

#3 tommo47, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  3. geoffbristol

geoffbristol Lurker

Thanks - I realise there are many apps that will do this - and more.. I have tried a few out. I was interested what Google maps could come up with on its own !

Apps like GPS status and toolbox - I played with a bit. Nice compass - abilty to set waypoints etc. For walking ( with a hard map ) an app that shows OS grid is what you want - or of course dedicated OS mapping app.
    I have done some serious mountain walking over the years and would not like to be without a paper map - better overview of options.

Sailing is a little different as you can have larger equipent on board than walking - but paper chart size is hard to beat.

With both though - knowing exactly where you actually are is one huge bonus ! You used to have to work it out ! A bit of both is needed though - gps 'does' go down now and then !