• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Maps Nav or Tele Nav ?

Which is Better, Tele Nav or Google Maps Navigation

• Tele Nav

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Google Maps Navigation

Votes: 12 92.3%

• Total voters
I would like to keep both, because I think that I actually like the turn by turn navigation part of TeleNav a little better. But, I finally decided to delete Telenav to use the space for other stuff.

Other than the Turn by Turn, I have to give the nod Google. The integration of Google apps and with the Web based equivalent is very useful.

You can set up your favorites on web Google Maps and they show up in the Android App, along with any other map searches.

I still think that my old Garmin is better than either, especially, since the android apps require an internet connection to calculate and subsequently modify the route. The route is calculated online and sent to the phone. This would not work for me for some of the backwoods places I have had to find for work. Of course, I have to download the maps to my Garmin every quarter to get any updates. This is not necessary for the Android navigators.

Both of these drink up the juice, so keep the phone on the charger while using.

Upvote 0
I would like to keep both, because I think that I actually like the turn by turn navigation part of TeleNav a little better. But, I finally decided to delete Telenav to use the space for other stuff.

Other than the Turn by Turn, I have to give the nod Google. The integration of Google apps and with the Web based equivalent is very useful.

You can set up your favorites on web Google Maps and they show up in the Android App, along with any other map searches.

I still think that my old Garmin is better than either, especially, since the android apps require an internet connection to calculate and subsequently modify the route. The route is calculated online and sent to the phone. This would not work for me for some of the backwoods places I have had to find for work. Of course, I have to download the maps to my Garmin every quarter to get any updates. This is not necessary for the Android navigators.

Both of these drink up the juice, so keep the phone on the charger while using.
there is the google nav that gives the turn by turn you are talking about, I have used it many times I dont know if it is "part" of google maps but it works well. I agree with you on the internet connection requirement it does suck if your in a bad signal area.

Reactions: Hipster90
Upvote 0
there is the google nav that gives the turn by turn you are talking about, I have used it many times I dont know if it is "part" of google maps but it works well. I agree with you on the internet connection requirement it does suck if your in a bad signal area.

Yep, they both have turn by turn and I have used both. The Telenav is a little more similar to Garmin so that it probably why I like it. It give you an estimated ETA, like Garmin. I did not see that on Google, although it may be there. I am usually fiddling with it while i am driving (not a good idea), so I have probably missed out on noticing all the features of both.

Upvote 0
I vote Google Nav. A few days ago I would have voted TeleNav, but I had some time to play with Google Nav today while my wife was driving. It doesn't necessarily have the layout like a Garmin as wyelkins mentioned (although it DOES show your ETA in the lower left corner.)

What I like WAY more about Google Nav is:
-Satellite View
-Street View
-Ability to turn "Compass Mode" on in Street View, letting you move around physically and see the street view based on where you're actually facing!
-Integration with Google Places... Looking up restaurants, etc shows actual reviews, menus, hours, one-click calling, etc. Much more interactive and content-rich (real-time).

I don't really see any features missing in Google Nav that I've been accustomed to with my Garmin, or especially with TeleNav. Once you get a feel for it, it's an amazing app IMO.

Reactions: wyelkins
Upvote 0
I vote Google Nav. A few days ago I would have voted TeleNav, but I had some time to play with Google Nav today while my wife was driving. It doesn't necessarily have the layout like a Garmin as wyelkins mentioned (although it DOES show your ETA in the lower left corner.)

What I like WAY more about Google Nav is:
-Satellite View
-Street View
-Ability to turn "Compass Mode" on in Street View, letting you move around physically and see the street view based on where you're actually facing!
-Integration with Google Places... Looking up restaurants, etc shows actual reviews, menus, hours, one-click calling, etc. Much more interactive and content-rich (real-time).

I don't really see any features missing in Google Nav that I've been accustomed to with my Garmin, or especially with TeleNav. Once you get a feel for it, it's an amazing app IMO.

Thanks for the research! I use Maps all the time, but never have time to really LOOK at it. I am missing TeleNav less each day.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones