1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Google maps navigation gone mad - upside down or left or right

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by OM2, Oct 14, 2011.

1. OM2

OM2 Well-Known Member

I don't quite know when it happened, but my Google Maps Navigation has gone mad!

I'm driving somewhere and it will decide to show me the route travelling sidewards - instead of just damn showing me upwards (or forwards - depends how you want to describe)

And sometimes, it bloody turns upside down!!
    I'm going forward, but the map will display downwards
    The only guidance I have is the big arrow
    Forget paying attention to the road - I have to keep my eye on that damn arrow and work out in my head which way it's oriented!

I've looked through every damn setting you can make - of which there aren't really any options and I can't find any settings

Have google gone mad??
    I'm pretty sure it's a setting somewhere I've missed
    Or are they feeling sorry for Tomtom and trying to let them back into the market?

EDIT: I'm using a HTC Desire, UK, on O2 network - not sure if required, but I thought I'd add

Thanks

OM

2. Best Answer:
    Post #4 by OM2, Oct 15, 2011 (1 points)
  3. itsallgood

itsallgood Android Expert

Have you tried powering off the phone, taking out the battery? I experianced this once and just powered off my phone. That fixed the problem.

4. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Android Expert

Sounds like the compass might need to be recalibrated. Settings -> Location and security -> Calibrate compass. Follow the instructions and see if that helps.

5. OM2

OM2 Well-Known Member

thanks for the replies guys
    i found out the answer from somewhere else
    on the navigation screen there is an icon for compass
    if u press this, it makes the map always point north - if u press again, it makes it come back to normal

i guess i might have just accidentally tocuhed the compass without realising

i was cursing google because i thought they had screwed up the software with the last update or something!

funkylogik and Juicylicious like this.
  6. Juicylicious

Juicylicious Lurker

Let me tell you I had to go pick up a puppy and navigate back with her whining and the darn gps had me upside down and I didn't understand what the hell was wrong i was about to remove it and re install the darn thing. Thank you , this is proof what google will get you, some good answers that actually help. Tricky lil compass button grrrrr

funkylogik likes this.
  7. Android is like windows. They dont know how to make their apps intuitive. Customizing is good but not at the expense of it being intuitive. Apple is far superior.