• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Maps Navigation without data connection

I use HTC Desire (updated to Froyo) and at home Google Maps Navigation works great and I never worry about the data connection because I have a large data allowance each month.

But I'm now in Germany for a few days and I don't really want to pay roaming rates.

So, I find that I can of course use the hotel wifi to plot the route. This can work but most of the time it doesn't. The problem is that the route is not downloaded (at least not completely) until the phone has a GPS fix. Usually this happens after I'm out of range of the wifi signal and so I have no route to navigate.

Is there a way of downloading the route without needing the satellite fix to validate it? This would make life so much simpler!

Ian

While you're connected to the hotel Wifi you might want to download NDrive from the Market - it's free. Once you have it installed you can download maps for the area you're in, on a free 7 day trial. Once these are installed, you can use it without a data connection. This should cover you for the few days you'll be there, instead of spending a lot of time trying to work around Google Maps needing a data connection.

Reactions: ifb-online
Upvote 0
I use HTC Desire (updated to Froyo) and at home Google Maps Navigation works great and I never worry about the data connection because I have a large data allowance each month.

But I'm now in Germany for a few days and I don't really want to pay roaming rates.

So, I find that I can of course use the hotel wifi to plot the route. This can work but most of the time it doesn't. The problem is that the route is not downloaded (at least not completely) until the phone has a GPS fix. Usually this happens after I'm out of range of the wifi signal and so I have no route to navigate.

Is there a way of downloading the route without needing the satellite fix to validate it? This would make life so much simpler!

Ian

I live in Bavaria and I can sympathize with your issue. This is the main reason I have not adopted Google Navigation.. it's only good if you don't go anywhere. Why pay exorbitant roaming fees when trying to use GNav internationally? I have been using CoPilot, iGo MyWay & Navigon and have had no problems going between countries with them. The only downside is that they cost money, but since they can be used worldwide then I see no real issue. You can always use them back in the UK as well.. and save your data for watching YouTube videos :D Enjoy your stay here!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones