• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Maps Navigation Won't Start

Zac3456

Lurker
Aug 21, 2017
Hi all,

I set the route and tap Start and the first step is displayed but as I drive the navigation never goes to the next step although my correct GPS location is displayed on the map. The map will continuously update with my correct location but I get no voice navigation and the directions remain on the very first step.Any way to get this fixed?

Appreciate any help.
Zac.

SM-G900H
Android version = 6.0.1
No more updates available for this model.

Make sure your Media volume is up all the way for the voice to be heard

I can hear the voice just fine for the first step in the navigation when I tap the forward arrow button in the top left corner. The problem is the navigation never progresses to the next step when I'm driving even though it is tracking my location. There simply is no turn by turn directions past the first step.. Waze is also not giving me any turn by turn navigation directions or voice navigation. Any other ideas? My sons Galaxy A5 works perfectly, just tested it.

Could it be my Android version is holding me back?

Upvote 0
Turn Bluetooth off while using maps.

It's off mate.Again, this has nothing to do with sound.The directions simply will not proceed from direction 1 to direction 2. I can drive all the way to the target, the GPS tracks my correct position on the map, but the directions are stuck on the first step so I don't get any turn by turn directions at all.

Upvote 0
So maps and Waze both do not work?

Correct.

Have you contacted the devs about the issues since everything else is ruled out?

Nope, I thought I may be doing something wrong and there could be a simple fix someone here might provide me with.

And yes, it has everything to do about sounds...

I very much doubt it as sound works fine as I've said. On screen turn by turn directions are not appearing as well as voice directions.It just doesn't move from the first step. Most puzzling. Maybe something is up with my GPS and it is not allowing the next direction to kick in properly although my location is being tracked on the map as I drive all be it not very well as it takes some time to update my location rather than smooth tracking.

Upvote 0
Are you sure you have your GPS radio enabled? Google can plot your location using the network (triangulation off the cell towers) but navigation can't. That might explain why you see your location move but you get no directions in either Google nav or Waze.

I have a setting named "Location" and it is on and the sub setting is on "High Accuracy". If there is another setting for "GPS radio" then I can't find it.

Upvote 0
I had the same problem with my xperia xz premium for the last Year and I finally found a way to fix it, mine got to the point where I'd type everything in press go and it wouldn't do anything.
I went to the app got into the apps information and then force stopped it, checked permissions and made sure they where all clicked to on even the camera, clicked on its storage and then cleared all the data and cache and then went back into the app and it started working fine. Hope that helps

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones