1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Google Maps/Navigator cache for use in a dead zone?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by BuckeyeSeabee, Jun 22, 2011.

1. BuckeyeSeabee

BuckeyeSeabee Lurker
    None

Jun 22, 2011
    I use GPS for Google Maps and Navigator, and my CardioTrainer uses Google Maps with GPS also, but where I am going camping this Independence Day weekend is way into a dead zone in a national forest. The navigator will work on the way in because apparently the maps are downloaded in time before I lose signal, but if I close out of the applications and then restart them, I will lose that data and the GPS will not be able to redownload the maps to locate me, so it is useless to use on a hike, bike ride, river float, etc...

I'm looking for a way to save a certain area, or block of maps for use with Google Maps that will cover this dead zone so that I will be able to track my movements within it. Any suggestions?

Advertisement

2. SeekerOfTheWay

SeekerOfTheWay Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 12, 2011
    Bealls
    Florida
    BackCountry Navigator Pro may work for you. Check it out.

I'd suggest using a "real" handheld GPS though for navigation, waypoint marking and projection, and back tracking. Using the GPS outdoors drains the battery pretty fast. It would be bad for your phone to die while you're in the wilderness.

3. Harry2

Harry2 Android Expert
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Black Forest
    My experience in the "wilderness" (of the Black Forest :) ):
    Google Maps is for me almost useless, not enough details for hiking, therefore I need a topo map.

So I use ViewRanger with 1:25k topo maps on my HTC Desire HD.

Of course, the battery is a problem ;)
    But with my mobile charger I have two additional fully charges.

Harry

4. davidtheprof

davidtheprof Member
    None

Oct 29, 2010
    Backcountry navigator ($10) has free topo maps, and they can be cached ahead of time, just by viewing them (and the help manual doesn't mention this!) - remember to view at multiple zoom levels to cache them.

5. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    Use an app that stores maps locally. Stop trying to fit a square peg in a round hole by attempting to rely on Google Maps Nav where there's no coverage.

6. rbasusparky

rbasusparky Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 3, 2011
    You should take a look at "Locus Free/Locus Pro" (menion.asamm) for your offline GPS navigation requirements. One of its most useful features is track recording which allows you to record and view your track and navigate around the area or back to your starting point which is very useful whether you're hiking, biking, canoeing/rafting, or simply touring a city/town while on vacation!

https://market.android.com/details?id=menion.android.locus&feature=search_result

Make sure to visit the developer's website and read the various information on it including the Blog, Screenshots, Tips & Tricks, FAQ & info, Manual->Settings tabs.

Also, check out this add on app "Locus addon Map Tweak (MjK)

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mjk.locusmaptweak&feature=search_result

SeekerOfTheWay likes this.