1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support Google Maps Not Talking

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by emailsucks, Aug 20, 2010.

1. emailsucks

emailsucks New Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Hello everyone. I have a Desire and have Google Maps installed, but when I want to go somewhere, it doesn't tell me my turns and what street to turn on. I only see the map and that's it. When maps was installed I had a popup that advised that I should download text to speech as well, which I did. I've watched on utube and the videos show turn by turn speech happening on the videos. I live in Canada. Is it not available here?

Brian

Advertisement

2. Griff_LI

Griff_LI Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Marlow, Bucks, UK
    When you open Maps hit the search button and type-in your destination address. It'll show you it on the map, press on it and it'll give you a load of options. One of which is Directions. If you hit that (it's a picture of a road-sign - right turn) and select Navigate it'll give you turn-by-turn.

In order to get the voice, though you'll need to install the Text to Voice option from the Market (free).

3. tanbe174

tanbe174 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2010

I think you mean Google Navigation and not Google maps

4. emailsucks

emailsucks New Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Thanks so much you guys. I'll give it a try. I think I have text to voice installed. This is my first smartphone so everything is extremely new to me. I really do appreciate the help. Heck, I can't even find my post in this forum, so I have to do a search.

Brian :thinking:

5. emailsucks

emailsucks New Member

Aug 14, 2010
    I tried your suggestions, but it still didn't talk to me. I say navigate to and give it the place I want to go. It shows it on the map, and I click menu, and select directions, and then a box comes up asking me to type where I want to go. Did I do something wrong there?

Brian :rolleyes:

6. killermikeman

killermikeman New Member

Jun 4, 2012
    Try this:
    1) menu key
    2) directions
    3) fill in the locations
    4) hit the blue arrow and there you have it.
    Note: I think you need gps enabled

Tags: