• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Google Maps Not working?

Viper05

Dec 20, 2010
East Coast
I've been using Velocity 1.0 since its release - and I simply love it. Would not trade the Velocity ROM for anything. The only thing I have noticed is Google Maps doesn't get my location. It gets the city, but even with the location services and GPS services on, it puts me in some location roughly 2 miles off. I didn't know if anyone else had any problems with it. I uninstalled Maps and reinstalled it from the market place and still no dice. Any suggestions?

I may be wrong, but i think that the location it shows, is determined by your location to the closest cell tower and that it only pinpoints your actual location (determined by gps) when using the navigation feature.

Try going into Settings> Location & Security and deselecting "Use wireless networks".
It should then pinpoint your location using gps, but i'd like to note that if you deselect that, latitude wont work anymore, because it uses the mobile network to get it's location.

Upvote 0
I may be wrong, but i think that the location it shows, is determined by your location to the closest cell tower and that it only pinpoints your actual location (determined by gps) when using the navigation feature.

Try going into Settings> Location & Security and deselecting "Use wireless networks".
It should then pinpoint your location using gps, but i'd like to note that if you deselect that, latitude wont work anymore, because it uses the mobile network to get it's location.

The thing is I had it working fine with the LGMU 2.2.1. That was actually the first time I had used Google Maps and I was actually pretty impressed since it served me well as a GPS, but with the wireless network setting unchecked, and just the one for GPS, it doesn't locate the phone at all. I've had it sitting in the window for 10 min hoping it was just being slow.

Another thing I did notice is there has been a couple times when my Weatherbug Elite came up saying I was in a different city, even when I updated the information.

It just won't use the GPS location feature it seems.

Upvote 0
The thing is I had it working fine with the LGMU 2.2.1. That was actually the first time I had used Google Maps and I was actually pretty impressed since it served me well as a GPS, but with the wireless network setting unchecked, and just the one for GPS, it doesn't locate the phone at all. I've had it sitting in the window for 10 min hoping it was just being slow.

Another thing I did notice is there has been a couple times when my Weatherbug Elite came up saying I was in a different city, even when I updated the information.

It just won't use the GPS location feature it seems.

gps requires a direct view of the sky & at least 3 satellites to triangulate your position, sometimes i don't get a gps lock inside my house, but when i go out side it locks properly. Try walking outside to see if that works? :p other than that, idk man

Upvote 0
I don't think this is a Velocity problem because I have had the same problem almost since I got the phonel like 9 months ago. Most of the time when the navigation is loading after the directions have been inputed, it just says "Searching for GPS Signal" for like ever. Sometimes it will go right away and sometimes it will never load. Its not a problem with my location either because I will be outside in the middle of Cincinnati and it will still do it. IDK

Upvote 0
Okay I did a fresh flash of the Velocity 1.0 Rom... and when I open up navigator all it will say is "searching for maps"... and it shows my phone in the exact same location as it did before. I see the GPS icon working like it's trying to do something... but alas it has no luck getting the signal even when in a massive window. :thinking:

EDIT:

I know it works better outside, but it's in the same window inside my house that worked before.

Upvote 0
Okay I did a fresh flash of the Velocity 1.0 Rom... and when I open up navigator all it will say is "searching for maps"... and it shows my phone in the exact same location as it did before. I see the GPS icon working like it's trying to do something... but alas it has no luck getting the signal even when in a massive window. :thinking:

EDIT:

I know it works better outside, but it's in the same window inside my house that worked before.

Settings > Location & Security Settings > Use GPS satellites = Checked

Do you have that?^

Upvote 0
Viper, I believe I am having the same problem as you with the GPS not being able to locate me and I am also running velocity 1.0. I would really like to know why its not working in case I ever get lost somewhere and can't use my GPS.

Maybe it's not just me... may be some rather uncommon bug of some sort. I'll hop on IRC later and see what people think. I don't have a stand alone GPS so having it on my phone was something I really liked.

Upvote 0
I'm having the same problem it never loads the directions have you found a fix yet

Negatve.... Wish I could say I found a fix :(

I re-downloaded and re-flashed the ROM to try and rule those out as problems. I've tried other GPS programs, but the one I wanted to use was just the included Google Maps. Really can't make much sense of the problem, it's as if for some reason the GPS ability is messed up. GPS Location is turned on, I've tried turning on/off the option for using the cell tower (with the option off it doesn't locate my phone at all). That leads me to believe that for some reason the GPS is just not working. But I don't know where to begin to figure out why.

Upvote 0
This may help a little. Try the Market app GPS Status. It will show you in real time how many satellites are connecting, your lat/lon (after it locks) and how long until the first fix of your location. I have had issues with GPS inside my home in my rural setting. Some days it locks in seconds with 7 or more satellites and fixes quickly on my exact location, right down to which room I am in on the Google Maps Satellite image of my house. Other times it never fixes a locked location at all. Sometimes driving it takes a few minutes to figure out where I am. In our area using the tower network can misplace my location by an error of several miles so I keep that turned off most of the time.

If nothing else GPS Status will verify when you don't have a good signal.

Upvote 0
I was trying to use GPS Status just this morning and could not get a decent lock on any satellites at all. I also couldn't get Google Maps to show my correct location. So on a whim I decided to use Amon Ra recovery and wipe the cache and Dalvik cache (this procedure always fixes when my reminder alarms stop sounding). Once rebooted Google Maps instantly showed my correct location, so I opened GPS status to take a look at things. I was locked in with 9/9 satellites. :) So maybe try clearing your caches?

Reactions: Viper05
Upvote 0
I was trying to use GPS Status just this morning and could not get a decent lock on any satellites at all. I also couldn't get Google Maps to show my correct location. So on a whim I decided to use Amon Ra recovery and wipe the cache and Dalvik cache (this procedure always fixes when my reminder alarms stop sounding). Once rebooted Google Maps instantly showed my correct location, so I opened GPS status to take a look at things. I was locked in with 9/9 satellites. :) So maybe try clearing your caches?

Sitting in my kitchen it quickly locked in 4 of 4 satelites. If I remember correctly it requires 3 to get a fix on your location correct?

Upvote 0
IIRC it takes 3 satellites to get your coordinates on the surface, and one more to get the "Z axis" (altitude). Of course the more you have locked in the better the GPS can do its thing. I'm glad it started working for you, but it is surprising that it did so without any action on your part. I do notice some days I get much better performance than other days when it comes to GPS on the Ally. Perhaps the radio software could use some improvements?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones