1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Google Maps now let's you pre-cache map data from your WiFi:

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by pilot145, Jan 4, 2012.

1. pilot145

pilot145 Lurker
    None

Aug 16, 2011
    This is especially good if you're on a limited data plan or travel to areas with poor coverage and like to use Google Maps for naviation.

They've introduced a feature where you can pre-cache areas with a wifi connection. This basically uses your wifi to pre-download the maps in an area you're going to use.

To do this, open Google Maps, hit "settings", and select "Labs". Go down to "Pre-cache map ar...ea" and select it.

Go back to the map, navigate to the area you want to precache and long-press (hold finger on that spot for about 3 seconds) until an address box appears. Tap the box and one of the options should be "pre-cache map area". Tap that option.

It pre-caches a box around that area 10 miles by 10 miles (100 square miles total) and you can do this to up to 10 areas.

Good luck!!

Advertisement

uzee, bruce73, RazzMaTazz and 2 others like this.
  2. BlueBiker

BlueBiker Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2010
    Male
    New England
    Hey I'll use that. Good find pilot145, thanks!

3. blackdog709

blackdog709 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 19, 2011
    Cool but limited. Only active in cache for 30 days.
    Wish we could download entire US states on a per/per basis from Google.

4. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Android Expert
    None

Jan 28, 2011
    Very good to know. Thanks!

5. tcat007

tcat007 Android Expert
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Texas
    Been doing that for quite a while... but using something like Navfree is even better. Although Google maps are much nicer looking!

6. darkuni

darkuni Android Enthusiast
    None

Wouldn't surprise me if Garmin, TomTom et al aren't paying Google millions of dollars a year NOT to allow any sort of reasonable caching.

7. ilapan

ilapan Lurker
    None

Apr 25, 2012
    done all required to pre cache map areas but when offline the cache map area doesn't zoom in to street name level. Looks like it doesn't refresh screen to a clear zoom in view.

Any idea what to do?

AfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDetect languageDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddish⇄AfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddish
    Detect language ​

8. NJSmoke

NJSmoke Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 22, 2011
    New Jersey
    I wish I had better control over my Itouch. Because I spend a good amount of time in europe. And because of triangulation my Itouch uses via WiFi it can some what accurately track my progress through the cities. But it is pretty difficult to get the map in the cache.

I am not sure if my Nexus can do the same thing with WiFi in other countries.

9. pcaker

pcaker Lurker
    None

Jul 5, 2012
    This method used to work, but no more - July 2012. Settings/Labs seems to have deleted caching options, in fact has deleted almost everything it used to offer.

10. regression

regression Android Expert
    None

Nov 10, 2009
    Male
    Memphis, TN
    Go to menu, offline. This feature has "graduated" from and and is a full fledged feature now. I am not sure if the 30 day limit still exists.

11. athegn

athegn Android Enthusiast

May 26, 2010
    I have selected wifi only and wifi is working but cannot cache a 10 mile area.

Sure that a long press brought up an address bubble; pressing on that bubble enable the cache to operate. No longer does?

What am I doing wrong?

12. regression

regression Android Expert
    None

Nov 10, 2009
    Male
    Memphis, TN
    If you have the latest version of Google Maps, press the menu key, then choose "Make available offline".

athegn and Pinmac1 like this.
  13. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Android Expert
    None

Jan 12, 2010
    Male
    Process Engineer
    Winston-Salem, NC
    One problem with the pre-cached maps is you can't create a route without a data connection. After the route is established, then you can drop the data connection and it will navigate you fine and I think the latest version will actually get you back on route if you meander off, but you can't create a route without a data connection.

BigRedGonzo

14. Tre Lawrence

Tre Lawrence Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    I believe you are correct.

15. fooled

fooled Newbie
    None

Oct 1, 2011
    On the Orbit
    The previous (lab) version allowed you to save area from ANYWHERE in the world. The current version only allows you to save areas from certain countries. So this is definitely a step back :-(

16. Alex M

Alex M Lurker
    None

Oct 20, 2012
    Sorry for posting in old thread, but the issue appears to be semi-permanent.
    HTC One V, not activated yet, running internet pass-through. Smartphone is such a pain after a flip phone, but I'm going to need occasional internet and maps on the trip. No SD card yet.

Opened Google Maps, pressed the center, label with address appeared. Tapped that label - Address page appears, clicked on Pre-Cache Map Area - it says "Can't pre-cache, make sure you are connected to network and have enough storage". Let it go into sleep without turning power off, few minutes later tried the same - it says "the area is already pre-cached", and it does show in the Cache settings. Turned the power off and then on - now cache is wiped out clean, no saved maps. I didn't check the box "clean the cache", it did this itself. Anybody else had this problem?

Q2: didn't do anything differently, but Google Maps opened once in a weird look, with terrain and gray highways - normally highways and major streets are yellow, and there was no Pre-Cache option on the Address page. WTF?

Q3: Is there any update of Google Maps for mobile (don't see anything on website), or my soft don't matter?

Q4: What is the best offline map to use with GPS, sans data network and/or in Airplane mode? I downloaded GPS Test already, it shows coordinates and I know how to use a printed map, but having my location on the screen map would be nice.

17. Harry2

Harry2 Android Expert
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Black Forest
    To Q4:
    If you don't need a car turn-by-turn navigation (like Navigon, the best of this kind), you might have a look at OsmAnd.

The app let you preload packages of vectorized maps of all ereas of the world.
    These maps are free OpenStreetMaps (OSM) and their vector file format needs significanly less storage space than Maps's tile file format.

OsmAnd can be used completely offline, even for location searchs.
    BTW, Maps, with preloaded maps of areas, can used offline in these areas, but for locations search in these areas, Maps still will need a data connection, and also for compute a route.

Harry

18. Alex M

Alex M Lurker
    None

Oct 20, 2012
    Probably I need SD card.

OSM, despite compact size of vector maps, still wants to load them into SD card. And so do Copilot and Mapdroyd.

And as reported earlier, HTC ONE V clears cached Google maps when powered off.

Navfree allows loading tiles into 800 MB of my remaining internal memory, though it's enough for only one state and for some reason not enough for "one Canada" - 500 MB file refuses to load in 800 MB internal memory.

So, for now I'm left with Navfree USA (I'm in Canada). Something is wrong with this one too. There is no box for "point A" or "From", like in Google. Dialed in city center, it shows on the map, clicked Navigate There, and it says, with British accent :) "Can't navigate there because there is no carriageway in your location". Maybe - I'm guessing - because it can only navigate from my GPS-cofirmed location, and there was no map with carriageways etc loaded for my location. In other words, no route planning in advance is possible.