1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Google Maps on Airplane question

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by syvmn, Aug 13, 2012.

1. syvmn

syvmn Newbie

I'm flying from Minnesota to Kauai, Hi in the next few days and I would LOVE to be able to track my progress via google maps and GPS.

I used google maps' new feature to be able to save the entire island of Kauai on the phone for use when I dont have internet (on the plane) but I was wondering if I will be able to track the rest of my flight.

When I put my phone into "Airplane" mode and open up google maps, it shows my location via the GPS in Minnesota and there seems to be a low-resolution map of the entire world saved into the computer. If I try to zoom in on California it doesn't update. However if I zoom up on Kauai it does update because I have saved that portion of the map into the phones memory.

Is this how google maps works offline? It has a low resolution of the world saved to memory, and then I can download specific areas of the map I also want saved to memory?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. fightingirish

fightingirish Well-Known Member

I haven't figured out the save maps feature yet, but does the flight have Wi-Fi? Stupid question, but worth asking.

3. deltaforce

deltaforce Android Enthusiast

Who says A-GPS needs wi-fi? As far as I could use it, I could use Google maps for driving instructions offline i.e. I do not have a data plan and I was not connected to any wi-fi on the road.

What I am not too sure is, if the phone is able to connect to GPS satellites from the airplane. That could be reason of low resolution.

4. jova33

jova33 Android Expert

If you go into labs, under map settings, you can save locations to your device by long pressing. I haven't tried it, but the option is there.
    Edit never mind. It's no longer under labs, it's right there when you press menu.