• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Maps (or any 3g map) drawback

Stucky

May 11, 2010
Got stuck in traffic today following an accident that closed a major road. Dived into the back streets and got out my Desire to plan a route around the chaos. Except everyone else was doing the same and the data network had collapsed - absolutely no data capability for miles around.

Thankfully I had my trusty TomTom with me so I reverted to that and got home eventually.

So don't rely on the maps if you're going anywhere busy!

Got stuck in traffic today following an accident that closed a major road. Dived into the back streets and got out my Desire to plan a route around the chaos. Except everyone else was doing the same and the data network had collapsed - absolutely no data capability for miles around.

Thankfully I had my trusty TomTom with me so I reverted to that and got home eventually.

So don't rely on the maps if you're going anywhere busy!

Are you on O2 by any chance?

Ian

Upvote 0
That would be OK if I knew there was going to be a crash on my route - I know the route but not all the back roads.
I am on Orange btw, but I'd guess everyone in the area was having problems due to the huge number of people all trying to do the same thing (south London)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones