1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Google maps stop lights

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by mljohn, Jul 26, 2013.

1. mljohn

mljohn Lurker
    None

Jul 26, 2013
    I'm looking to have an app made for the android that will show me which intersections have stop lights and which have a stop signs and which intersections have no stop light or stop sign on a map.

Is it possible to use Goggles maps?
    Does Google already contain the info about stop lights and stop signs?

Thanks for answering my basic questions.

Matt

Advertisement

2. Thatdad

Thatdad Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2013
    Male
    Direct Support Professional
    South Georgia
    I've used Google maps quite a bit and I've never seen this feature. That would be cool but it sounds like it would be a resource hog.

Just think about how many stop signs and traffic lights there are in just one town with around 50,000 population. Thats a TON of data being transferred.

mljohn likes this.
  3. divinebovine

divinebovine Android Expert
    None

Aug 30, 2012
    I don't think it'd be a resource hog. The data is smaller than the other data in an equal amount on the map; it'd a single byte, or less, in addition to a coordinate (which may be unnecessary as it might be added as a property to intersections, if intersections are an object, and I bet they are). How many different options could there be? Light, stop sign, nothing, yield sign...anything else? That requires only a 3-bit byte; we use 8-bit bytes.

The bigger problem would be data collection. It would be a lot of work to collect and document that data, as well as deal with inaccuracies as things change...maybe not much more effort than is already used to make the maps though.