• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Google Maps update problems

Anyone else having issues updating google maps? I can download but always has an install error. I'm using GSB v1.9

Many people are having navigation or force close errors with any of the Google Maps higher than 5.2, so you may want to just stay where you are anyway.

I suppose one thing to try is to uninstall updates (settings->applications->manage applications, go to Maps, and there may be an uninstall updates button there; if not, there should be an uninstall button) and see if that works for you.

Upvote 0
I am having trouble updating "large" apps. I thought initially that this was because I'm a noob who decided to partition my SD card for apps2sd on xtrSENSE. I've had trouble updating Google+ (still not working) and Google Maps, as well as Facebook. Usually I end up performing the same routine over and over again:

Uninstall updates/app
Power down (hard reset, rather than quickboot)
Power up and try again.

I always have a bad package error after downloading. Only Google+ has continued to fail.

I'm so freaking ready for a new MOTO.

Upvote 0
I am having trouble updating "large" apps. I thought initially that this was because I'm a noob who decided to partition my SD card for apps2sd on xtrSENSE. I've had trouble updating Google+ (still not working) and Google Maps, as well as Facebook. Usually I end up performing the same routine over and over again:

Uninstall updates/app
Power down (hard reset, rather than quickboot)
Power up and try again.

I always have a bad package error after downloading. Only Google+ has continued to fail.

I'm so freaking ready for a new MOTO.

I wonder if you are running out of space in /cache or /data?

I can't remember if xtrSENSE comes with the Terminal Emulator app. If it does, or if you have it, you could try running the command:

df -h

This will give a bunch of stats, including space available in /data, /system and /cache.

Here's the terminal app: https://market.android.com/details?id=jackpal.androidterm&feature=related_apps

Or, on the phone, you should be able to search the market for Jack Palevich

Reactions: TheMortallyWounded
Upvote 0
I wonder if you are running out of space in /cache or /data?

I can't remember if xtrSENSE comes with the Terminal Emulator app. If it does, or if you have it, you could try running the command:

df -h

This will give a bunch of stats, including space available in /data, /system and /cache.

Here's the terminal app: https://market.android.com/details?id=jackpal.androidterm&feature=related_apps

Or, on the phone, you should be able to search the market for Jack Palevich

Thanks a ton. That pointed me in the right direction. But at this point, I'm just waiting for December to upgrade, at which point I'll go with a Bionic or RAZR and just forget about my little Eris. I'll probably root it when I can just for basic stuff, and leave the functionality alone. Hopefully I'll be able to get rid of the bloatware without any trouble, but for the most part I won't have any need to try and beef up the specs on either of those MOTOs.

Upvote 0
Thanks a ton. That pointed me in the right direction. But at this point, I'm just waiting for December to upgrade, at which point I'll go with a Bionic or RAZR and just forget about my little Eris. I'll probably root it when I can just for basic stuff, and leave the functionality alone. Hopefully I'll be able to get rid of the bloatware without any trouble, but for the most part I won't have any need to try and beef up the specs on either of those MOTOs.

I originally upgraded to the Bionic, but exchanged it on day 12 for a Droid 3. The Bionic is a great phone unrooted - fast, plenty of space. I had some data issues with the phone, and I thought it was too big for my taste, which were the two biggest reasons I traded it in. However, it's due for an over the air update in November, so by the time you are ready to upgrade it should be fine.

The Razr is thinner but slightly longer and wider, and also has a non-removable battery. Otherwise I am sure it will be a great phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones