1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Google Maps Updated for Mobile Browsers, Who Needs an App?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by phandroid, May 20, 2011.

1. phandroid

phandroid Admin News Bot
    None

Apr 12, 2008
    In striving to maintain consistency across platforms, the Google team has overhauled Maps for mobile browsers, bringing it more in sync with the experience we have come to expect from the desktop version. Pointing your mobile phone’s browser to maps.google.com and opting-in to location sharing gives you access to everything you’d expect, from searching nearby [...]

More...

Advertisement

2. Charlesleonard

None

May 7, 2011
    Thanks some good news

3. substring

substring Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 8, 2010
    Dallas, Texas
    The question should be: why would anyone want to use the browser when you have the app?

KENNECTED likes this.
  4. pruitts

pruitts Lurker
    None

May 20, 2011
    Do this google maps for browser is much latest than we used before?
    What was it's benefit using it?

5. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    The answer to both is in the article:

This is all about leveraging Google Maps onto other mobile platforms.

jroc likes this.
  6. substring

substring Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 8, 2010
    Dallas, Texas
    I used to do some programming myself, and app should always be more "native" than something hosted by a 3rd party container...in this case an internet browser.

The only reason that I can think of is someone using a phone with some OS other than Android or iOS (I think that is what "remember not all platforms have access to such a superbly crafted native experience" means). In that case, they might need to run Google Map on a browser. For all the high end smart phones (whether Android platform or iOS platform), app should always be more "native" and more superior.

If someone's smart phone cannot run the Google Map app in the optimal fashion, that person should switch to either an Android phone or iPhone. :D

I doubt the members of this forum care about this improvement because this is an Android forum. The people here are more likely to be using Android devices (or iOS devices). And 99.9999% of them will be running the app version of Google Map instead of the browser version. :)

7. Carld256

Carld256 Lurker
    None

May 28, 2011
    For some reason the App can't find my location but the website can.

8. Norril

Norril Android Enthusiast
    None

I have a Google Chromebook. The OS is Chrome. I am also going to get a Chrome based TV. So, if Chrome is going to become a major platform for Google, where they deliver apps, I see a future where Google provides a consistent platform for all devices. Android may some day be replaced by Chrome. Yes, I am prepared to have rotten fruit thrown at me now...

That is why I think Google is making Maps more mobile friendly, for their browser version. Maps is their anchor app. Maybe Mail too, but Maps is what shines above all else.

9. virthddman

virthddman Lurker
    None

Jun 14, 2011
    Google Maps App is nice - maps have come a long way in helping you get to point b and back.
    You can also use Google Maps with 2X Mobile management on your PC to track your Android Devices. Pretty nice, you can find it in the Android market or on 2x.com