• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google maps: using with YouTube + how to avoid an area

OM2

Android Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2010
I like to listen to things on YouTube while navigating.
(Definitely not watching. YouTube is minimised.)

PROBLEM: Google maps directions play over the youtube sound.

This problem is the same when listening to an audio book.

Is there someway of pausing when a Google direction is given? And then resuming when finished?

I know I can have a semi silent option for maps - but that's no good especially when driving in the city where there are turns every few minutes.

ALSO is there a way to avoid a big area when navigating?

I've been stuck sometimes, there's been a road closure - that hasn't been picked up yet on Google maps. I'm really stuck. I try driving away from the blocked area, but Google will just go mad trying to redirect me back to the blockage.

In tomtom, I'm sure there's a way where you can mark on the map to avoid a specific area. They've had that feature for a looong time.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Reactions: A bochur
Does Waze solve both my problems?

- When a direction is given, does it paise any media playing and then restart after the announcement?

The problem with Google is not just the one off announcement... when driving in a city, you get the announcement and within 2 seconds you could get the same one or next announcement - in which you have somehow lost 30 seconds of the audio you are listening to!

- Does Waze have a way to exclude a specific area?
What puts me off Waze is something like 1.3GB of space needed - the last time I looked into it.
Perfectly happy with Google - apart from the 2 problems mentioned!

Upvote 0
Hmm
I'll avoid Waze in that case

It's not something I need everyday - the area avoidance
2am, you it a road block. You're on fast moving A roads, so don't have the luxury of fiddling with the navigation
I've been in this situation many times over the years
It's not rocket science

+ I wish there was something to cope with Google maps drowning out the audio of everything else

Upvote 0
Waze only needs that much space if you download a ton of maps for it.
Just download what you need.

I will say that I would rather go by the sun on a cloudy day, or at night for that matter, than ever try to use Google Maps for so much as getting an ice cream cone 1½ iles away!

Google Maps has steered me wrong every single time I ever tried it.
I literally would rather fold up a paper map properly WHILE DRIVING than ever infuriate myself by boinking around with that crAPP ever again.

Seriously.

Blindfold me and put me on the railroad tracks, and don't let me move until I solve a puzzle first.

That is better than Google Maps.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones