1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Google Maps without standalone gps?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by soulred12, May 15, 2011.

1. soulred12

soulred12 Lurker

I'm kind of privacy conscious and I was wondering...why does the built-in google maps app (I'm using an HTC droid incredible) require that you have "standalone gps services" checked in the location settings to get an accurate fix on your location, instead of just the "google gps services"? I'm more or less okay with letting GOOGLE's apps access my location data, but not really any third party apps (unless it's from another company I know and 'trust')

Perhaps the warning popup that appears when you try to check "standalone gps" made me nervous. But what exactly are you allowing applications to do with your gps data when you check that standalone gps box? Won't that allow any third party applications who require the gps permission even if just "for ads" to essentially track you wherever you go? I swear I'm not paranoid, but it just seems a little creepy that whenever I'm using someone's app they could know exactly where I am.

Anyone have any advice? :thinking:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. EagleBoy

EagleBoy Newbie

It isn't Google GPS.. it is 'Google location services.' Two very different things.

Standalone GPS services allows the GPS receiver in the phone to turn on and pass data to an application that requests such data. Google Location Services uses cell tower location and wifi hotspot information to attempt to locate your phone. It is much much less accurate than GPS. I would assume that with just GLS, your location could be off by 1/2 a mile.. which would make navigation very difficult.