1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Support Google maps

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by nightowl66, Jul 16, 2013.

1. nightowl66

nightowl66 Well-Known Member

I did a FDR awhile back and just noticed the ruler icon in maps is gone. There is suppose to be a labs tab in map settings that allows you to have the ruler. I don't have a lab tab anymore?
    How can I get the ruler icon back?

Advertisement

2. MeatLoafT

MeatLoafT Member

I still have the ruler, running latest Google Maps. I found Labs in Settings. I don't remember when it was a tab.

3. nightowl66

nightowl66 Well-Known Member

I don't have labs in settings

4. MeatLoafT

MeatLoafT Member

5. Sportster

Sportster Android Enthusiast

I took the Maps update awhile back and hated it! The Navigation icon totally gone, half the functionality of navigation, gone. Forget it. I uninstalled the update and just went back to version 6.14.2, now everything is back to the way it should be. If it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT GOOGLEROLA!! My phone is rooted and I have Titanium Backup on it, so after going back to this version, I backed it up on TB so I won't lose it again. That new update sucks!!!

6. B360155

B360155 Well-Known Member

I agree that it's a tad less convenient to get navigation up and running under the new maps setup but I MUCH prefer the new maps application itself over the old one. The look of the maps onscreen is much cleaner and the maps app now had significantly more information available within the app. If you have locations that you navigate to frequently, you can always insert Directions shortcuts or widgets to your homescreen for those locations. The loss of the blue arrow icon is no big deal to me. Whenever you have changes to an app or an OS, some people like it and some don't. I'm on the side of liking the new updated maps app after having used it now for several weeks.

7. Not focusing on you specifically, but those that are upset by the loss of the Navigation icon.

Really, what's so hard about a long press on the search button, and saying "Google, navigate to <insert location here>?"

I tried it with specific addresses, general requests ("the nearest Wal-Mart"), and somewhat ambiguous addresses ("BJ's Wholesale Discount Club in Auburn, Maine") and it did pretty well launching navigation to those locations.

When it didn't recognize the place, it lauched the web browser for Search. In the browser, tapping on an address usually gives you options to navigate there.

Still seems better than most standalone GPSes to me :)

8. Sportster

One of the biggest losses is finding alternate routes. That's gone. Used to be able to just click and bam, two other routes pop. Finding restaurants or gas stations with layers, gone. If they're going to update the thing, they shouldn't be removing things that are very useful and replacing it with nothing. The 5 star rating of the app is very quickly dropping to 1 star. Most are not happy with the update....at all....

9. Rogus

Rogus Newbie

Hmmm, I usually get two or three route options to choose from unless there's only one route possible. I like the information of time and distance that help me decide which route option to take.

10. B360155

B360155 Well-Known Member

I almost always get 3 route options as well with estimated driving times for each. I also am able to find restaurants and gas stations. Just open up the maps app and tap on the search magnifying glass. The page that opens up has recent searches and options to show gas stations, restaurants, all kinds of things. Do a search and you'll almost always get the three route options.

11. Sportster

I prefer the ability to bring it up along the route if need be in case I need to reroute instead of having to do another complete search just to find a new route. Also, many of the useful things in the development tab are gone and not returning.

12. djclemon

djclemon Well-Known Member

I don't know why everybody is saying the blue navigation button is gone after the update? It certainly is still there, it's basically on the second screen lower rite corner once you have chosen your destination!

13. Lars

Lars Android Expert

Anyone see how to get larger type on the street names like labs had. I can't read them. :-( Can't measure the distance between points or estimate with a scale bar. Can't zoom in or out with one hand.

14. I noticed that after I posted previously. I thought it might have something to do with having restored the data for Nova Prime after I upgraded to JB, or may be as simple as the fact that I'm not using the stock launcher. Just a guess, though.

15. WTF

WTF Well-Known Member

What He said ^

How do we go back to the previous version?

EDIT: Never mind - I found it...for anyone who wants to remove updates and get the maps app back to it's basic condition (which works best for me):

1. From your home screen, go to settings/apps
    2. Find the "Maps" application in the scroll list
    3. Hit "uninstall updates" button

For the past few weeks I've been having some problems with the Maps GPS function giving me the "Unfortunately Maps has Stopped" error every time I try to go somewhere. I looked at settings, tried resetting cache...nothing seemed to work. I use the GPS all the time so this feature MUST be in good working order for me. Now it works fine again, and I'll need it next week for a 10-hr road trip I'm taking from San Jose to Portland for their Tango festival...

16. Lars

Lars Android Expert