1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Google Messenger

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by jaj324, Nov 12, 2014.

1. jaj324

jaj324 Android Enthusiast

Anyone else rocking the new Google Messenger app??

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert

I was not looking forward to it, as I love Hangouts for the integration.

But damn, i tried it out and it's gorgeous. If they could just port this appearance to Hangouts, I would be one happy dude.

3. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert

So few options. No black theme, no popup, pretty much just as basic as you get.

4. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert

It was basically something Google threw together to appease carriers, who do NOT want SMS going through Hangouts.

I just hope they take this material theme and apply it to Hangouts.

5. DomingoLewis

DomingoLewis Newbie

Google updated messenger with better sharing, number blocking, and more. The new Messenger app brings a shiny new, colorful interface to your messages, along with advanced features like archiving, search, and faster sharing.

6. Stealthman

Stealthman Android Enthusiast

Just downloaded it, I like the simple design and ease of use. Let's see how it goes

7. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

I'm giving a go as well. I hate the different colors, wish that could be changed in settings but I'll see how it goes.

Lately I've been having trouble getting MMS from my iPhone family in Textra so I'm hoping Messenger at least fixes that.

8. MLSS

MLSS Android Expert

My only complaint so far is the really bright white background that I can't change. I have sensitive eyes and the white makes the app hard to use.

9. MLSS

MLSS Android Expert

I like the design and I don't need to many options so I think it is great from that standpoint.

10. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

The only option I'd like would be the ability to change the bubble color. I don't mind the white background but an option for a dark theme would be good too. Other than that it seems good so far.

11. jaj324

Me too. I like my SMS app to b simple and straightforward. I don't need alot of option. Read, type, send.

12. MLSS

MLSS Android Expert

I had a buddy at work send me back to back mms messages and their was an issue downloading the second message.
    I then switched to the stock app and had him do it again and no problems.
    We repeated it a second time with the same results. So far that's the only issue I have found.

13. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert

I'm done with this new app. It just erased all my messages. Screw this BS, I'm going to stick with Hangouts.

14. jaj324

What??

15. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert

I've been using Messaging (on my Moto X) since I really don't like Hangouts integration, so I'm giving Messenger a shot, but I'm not a fan of the UI (specifically the text bubbles), or the absence of settings that will automatically prune the message store.

My dislike is not limited to Messenger though. I don't really like the UI changes in any of the new Google apps. Changes to the Calendar app are the most objectionable, IMO.